Installing SWG, New Pipe Route

Jimbolo

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 3, 2010
Hello Gang, I'm about to take the leap into SWG. I'm tossed up about the aquarite and the compuchlor, but the real question is installation. I have about a 1' stretch that the puck feeder is mounted on (been puck-free for more than a year, thanks to this site). Envision an up-over-down configuration with 1' being the over segment. It's too short to mount the aquarite in-line on. The compu unit, since it will mount vertically, will fit.

But let's say I wanted to put the aquarite unit it? I'd have to put 6 90 degree joints in to accommodate the horizontal/end mounts on the unit (2 out, 2 up, 2 in). Would the 6 90 degree turns significantly slow flow?

Sadly, I failed to get my degree in computational fluid dynamics. I WON'T MAKE THAT MISTAKE AGAIN!! Any takers on this one?

Thanks to all!

Jim.

OK, clearly I'm not a geometry major either. I could do it with 3 90's by only extending one side out to accommodate the length of the aquarite unit. Question remains: will that impede flow?

Thanks, Jim.

Jim,

When I added my SWG last year, I wound up removing one 90 elbow and added 3 elbows, but I added sweep elbows and I didn't notice any difference in flow. I didn't measure it before and after.
I could not find sweep elbows locally, so I ordered them online - I forget where.
I was more concerned with the amount of straight pipe recommended (required?) ahead of the SWG.
I put 12" of straight pipe ahead of the SWG,(the minimum recommended by Pentair if I remember right, and figured by using sweep elbows I'd be ok. The SWG works great.
I'm no expert, but I hope this helps.

Thanks for the responses guys.

I have 2" pipe all over (well not ALL over).

Not sure about the HP of the pump. I'll check that when I get back to the casa. It's been sufficient so far in running the pool returns at a good clip as well as the spill over from the hot tub.

Attached is the proposed design. Any comments/ideas? Willy, I think my setup will be similar to yours, netting out to two added 90s.

Any druthers on my choice of SWG? I could quite easily be talked out of spending the extra money on the Aquarite. Seems the Compuchlor has pretty good comments so far. The limited field time is notable, but not so much a red flag for me. If they had poor manufacturing practices, we'd be reading more infant mortality comments. Don't see 'em so far.

Peace, Jim.

Attachments

• Pool Setup.png
    Pool Setup.png
    3.9 KB · Views: 74
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.