Indoor green tinged pool

Mar 13, 2010
Hello,
An indoor pool that has NO exposure to sunlight was drained, and refilled, but, the water has a greenish tinge to it. The pool's liner is white. Upon filling up, the first thing added to the pool was chlorine, and large amounts.
THe water was not treated with metal out or ever tested for metals. THe pump and filter have been running for 11 hours and only a slight change in tint. THe water is also a bit hazy.
Levels are as follows:
FC: 25
TC: 25
pH: 7.7
Alkalinity: 225
CH: 60(vinyl liner and the pool is made of alminum)
Water temp: 65 degrees

Could this be iron in the water and the greenish tinge is a result of adding a large amount of chlorine?
Or could this be copper from very old pipes?

Thank you, :wave:

That does sound rather like metals in the water. Water that turns a transparent green when you add chlorine is a sure sign of metals. The hazy water does complicated the diagnosis, since that wouldn't have anything to do with metals.

Yes, the water is not a clear green, but a hazy green...but i can see the bottom of the dep end (4ft 10in). I'm going to let the pump and filter run all night and hope it works some magic. If it is in fact metals. Would it be best for me to nuetralize the FC to 0, and add a sequestering agent?

Right, if metals lower PH and add sequestrant. The haziness means that there are some other possibilities, but most of the obvious one seem rather unlikely given other things you have said. Algae is rare in an indoor pool and it's color usually goes away or at least fades when you add lots of chlorine.

I'm not being a wiseguy, really. But what color is the ceiling? I was disgusted by a milky green pool about a year ago in a motel. I even posted about it.

file.php

I contacted the health dept. They closed it. But I discovered after I took that picture that some genius had painted the celing sort of olive green, which, coupled with the cloudy (people's feet disappeared in 3' :shock: ) water made it look even worse than it was.

I agree with everyone else, most likely metals, perhaps corroded pipes from while the pool was drained. I had that happen many years ago with a pool heater, one day the pool suddenly changed to a bright green, and just got worse when Chlorine was added.

Ike

p.s. I can tell you from experience algae blooms can happen with indoor pools, but it is rare, and there is usually ample warning before they get bad.

THe ceiling of the pool area is white. The pool has cleared up a little bit today. Its 36,000 gallons, so, my guess maybe a day more or so. The green tint has lightened a bit as well.

Thank you, everyone. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.