Low fountain flow

skos

Aug 17, 2010
Low fountain flow

I am going to start a new post to give all the currents facts.

I have a flow issue. The pool runs great for about 1 to 3 hours, then I have very little flow to a fountain in a spa that feeds the pool.

In the morning when the pool 1st starts up it take about 20sec for the water to start flowing out of the fountain at 20psi. Then after 1hr the fountain is dribbling and pressure is 30psi. I can turn off motor, wait 30secs and restart, I will be back to normal. Then process happens again. After an hr or so back to dribbling and pressure is 30psi.

Currently running clean grids with NO DE. All skimmers baskets including motor are clean. Also salt cell was socked in spring and is clean. Water test is normal.

Pool info

14K gal
A.O. Smith B130 2.4hp motor
Hayward DE2420L Filter
Hayward SP3020X25AZ Super II Pump 2 1/2 HP Single Speed
Aqualink rs4
AutoClear salt system

Picture029.jpg

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n183/skoscielak/Pool/Picture029.jpg

It would seem to me that running a DE filter without DE will plug up the grids pretty quickly and the flow rate will get very slow. You may even ruin the filter that way. If you want to run without DE, you should remove the grids as well.

I see that you have floating feeders. Do you use a lot of trichlor tabs? Are you keeping your chlorine at the correct level for your cyanuric acid level? What is your CSI? Can you post a full set of test results, including water temperature?

You need to disassemble the filter, clean the grids, and use DE.

Why aren't you using DE in the DE filter?

When you have water going to the fountain, are you also pulling water from the fountain suction?

Update. I clean the filter with acid. Put DE back in the pool and we will see what happens.

Also just another piece of info, a couple of the grids is collapsed on the top. This happened a year ago when the pump went out. I then replaced the pump and all the grids.

What do you think is collapsing them again? The original motor lasted 6 years and so did all the grids.

ps. the floating feeders are because my salt main logic board went out so I am back to floating feeders.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just-a-PB said:
DID YOU CHECK THE CHECK VALVE?

I took off all the Phillips head screws but it will not come apart easy. This valve is an auto valve controled by the main key pad. If I press spa on the key pad it will auto turn the other way and the spa will run. I am not sure if it has gaskets so until I know more I do not want to pull this apart.

It appears to be working correctly, any ideas?

Just-a-PB said:
No, not the valve under the JVA, the clear front one that is on the spa returns.

yes, I took it apart again just to make sure. The valve does not come into play unless I turn on the spa. That valve is jut a spring loaded door. All seals look to be in good condition.

Just-a-PB said:
The valve does not come into play unless I turn on the spa

How does the water get to the fountain in the spa?
Is there another valve, that you are not showing in your picture?
the auto valve on the right controls the side wall jets of the spa.
where you see the words "pool return" below the left auto valve is a manual valve that controls the pool return or the fountain return

Update. I clean the filter with TSP. Grids look fine except the area where they are collapsed. Put DE back in the pool and we will see what happens.

We have had storms here and I am fighting a terrible algae bloom. I am dumping bleach in and keeping chlorine level high. Any other ideas?

With the algae issue I feel I need to conquer 1st.

skos said:
We have had storms here and I am fighting a terrible algae bloom. I am dumping bleach in and keeping chlorine level high.

That is another reason that a filter will clog up quickly. The best thing you can do is keep the FC high but make sure it is at shock level.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.