Would like to add new return line to gunite IG spa

larryb

Apr 25, 2010
Hello:

I'm replacing my pool/spa equipment, and would like to add an additional return line to my spa. The current spa return is 4 jets only. The new lines would bypass the jets. The reason I'd like the new return is to allow me to get enough flow to allow me to run the heater on low speed (Hayward Ecostar.) I'm thinking I'll need the higher speed on the pump to get sufficient gpm through the jets without this bypass, which I would like to avoid during the heating phase. Another benefit is that with reduced flow through the jets they wouldn't be sucking air and cooling the water before I'm ready to use the spa. In heating mode, jets and bypass will be on. In usage mode, the bypass will be off and the pump turned up to active the jets.

There are 2 questions I have:

1) What is the best way to seal the new pipe against the gunite/plaster? I had been thinking of using 3m Marine 5200 injected around the pipe, finishing the spa side with a plaster patch.

2) Drilling the hole. I had planned to used a SDS max hammer drill with 1.5" masonary bit. This will make it through the concrete fine, but I'm concerned about any rebar that I may find in the path.

Any comments and suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Larry

Hey,

I know it's pricey, but I would use a diamond tipped hole saw to cut that 1.5" hole. A vibrating hammer bit might make a ragged hole coming out and/or going in and the hole saw bit will give you a good finished surface on either side.

I would then suggest using a 2-part epoxy pushed into the hole from both sides to seal the pipe in place.

You would probably be ok the way it is.
At low speed the four jets wont be an issue as far as flow goes.
At low speed there probably wont be enough venturi action to pull air in.
I would at least try it before you start tearing it up.

Another work around would be to leave one of the eyes loose enough so you can just reach in and take one out. This will reduce back pressure and keep the venturi effect from happening. Just screw it back in when you get in.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.