Pool Stains With Pics Questions

Sep 22, 2007
Florida
Hello,

I need some help. For each of the following stains (which I have included links to), could you please tell me:

1) what are they

2) what causes them

3) how to remove them

4) how to prevent them

The links to the stain pictures are:

* Black Stain *

* Brown Stain *

* Copper & Unknown Stain * (the blue is copper, the lightest shade is the normal plaster color... it's the darker shade that is not supposed to be there and is unknown)

Thank you in advance for you help and prompt reply.

Michael

The way I approach any stain is to test it by rubbing a spot gently with a sock containing a few crushed vitamin C tablets and then rubbing it gently with a trichlor tablet. If the vitamin C helps then use the ascorbic acid treatment and sequesterant. If the trichlor works then shock the pool and brush the stain. If neither works then it is going to be complicated and I get more advice. Waterline stains often come off with either tile soap or a magic eraser.

Have you tried any of these things on those stains?

Thanks for your reply. The only thing I have tried is commercial metal control (Jack's Magic, Stain Treat from United Chemical) and tile soap. I'll give the stains a shot with your suggestions and see what happens.

How many vitamin c tablets should I use?

Michael

It only takes three or four crushed vitamin C tablets to test a small area. If the stain is deep underwater and it will take you a little time to reach it from the surface you might need a little more. Both the vitamin C and the trichlor tablets will cause a visible change in appearance fairly quickly if they are going to work at all.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.