Heat Pumps and BTU's

Aquatica

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 26, 2010
Nassau, Bahamas
There are several sized heat pumps with different BTU's. If a heat pump should run 24/7 to keep temp to where you want it how does one pick a heat pump for their size pool? I mean how do we decide what BTU's to go with? seems once the pump gets the temp to where you want it and you run the system 24/7 could we use a heat pump with less BTU's?

I've been installing 140,000 btu heat pros but they are huge. could we get by with a smaller unit running 24/7? we use tristar pumps to run 24/7.

It depends quite a bit on your climate. Heat pups are much more efficient when the temperature is warmer, so it is generally best to run them during the day and much less efficient to run them at night. Just how much of an effect that is depends on where you are and what time of year it is.

Also, when you are warming up the pool from cold, it is nice to have as many BTUs as you can possibly get.

Jason

JasonLion said:
It depends quite a bit on your climate. Heat pups are much more efficient when the temperature is warmer, so it is generally best to run them during the day and much less efficient to run them at night. Just how much of an effect that is depends on where you are and what time of year it is.

Also, when you are warming up the pool from cold, it is nice to have as many BTUs as you can possibly get.

Jason

Thanks Jason. yes I figured more the better thats why I played it safe and went with the 140K btu heat pro. owner is very happy. still running it even though our temp in daytime is 84F! it doesnt work hard right now but when winter comes round it will work more. we can get down to 70F maybe lower would have to check my service logs. not so low that SWG's cuts off. found out we need to run the heat pump 24/7 as it takes forever to heat up the pool so we are recommend switching to variable speed pump the same time and running the system 24/7. working out great and the tristar is such an awesome pump. just was wondering how low in BTU's we could get away with.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.