Salt water generators causing corrosion

I am going to be installing a Hayward SWG. My inground pool is rectangular, 24'x44' feet. Approx. 40,000 gallons. I have a gas heater. My pool company recommends using the mineral springs instead of pool salt. He said there might be a corrosion problem with the heater if I just use salt. Any truth to this?

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

I don't have a heater on my pool but their are many members of this site that has heaters and SWG's on their pools. I haven't heard or seen any issues posted on this forum in reference this topic. Hopefully the experts with heaters while chime in more.

:cheers:

I only recommend heat pumps now which have a titanium core. gas heaters are ok but more expensive to run. I would never recommend or install a regular electric heater in any of our pools. We plumb the cell after the heater and pool equipment. we use solar salt which is recommended. I guess don't keep high salt level in the pool. 3,200 is perfect. Haven't had any problems with corrosion. high chlorine levels would be more corrosive than a little salt. especially those chlorine tablets when people put them in the skimmer. destroys the pump and de filter. full of acid and chlorine goes straight to the equipment.

and what is mineral springs? there are several types of salt but 2 main ones are..rock salt comes from underground. never use rock salt its too impure. solar salt is refined sea salt which is the purest and what is used in conditioning water systems as well as in pools for swg's.

There isn't any risk to the heater from a SWG if everything is installed correctly. Some heaters have problems with ocean water levels of salt, but a typical SWG uses far lower levels of salt, well below the level where problems start.

JasonLion said:
There isn't any risk to the heater from a SWG if everything is installed correctly. Some heaters have problems with ocean water levels of salt, but a typical SWG uses far lower levels of salt, well below the level where problems start.

10% of the ocean salt level...sometimes actually less..

Mineral Springs Beginnings is 75% to 90% SALT :lol:
5% to 15% boron salt (Borax)
2- 10% inorganic Acid - To lower the PH of the Borax
0.5 to 5 % organic acid - CYA- Stabilizer

Here is the MSDS
http://www.pools.com/doc_library/docs/123231.pdf

California has increased regulations for Borax so there is a special formation for California users
95% to 98% Salt
1 to 2 % Cyanuric acid

Here is the MSDS
http://piscines-apollo.com/bioguard/123233.pdf

Here is the MSDS for the Renewal product
http://piscines-apollo.com/bioguard/123230.pdf
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BioGuard Mineral Springs Beginnings

A 28 lb bag is $59 so you would need 40 bags for a 40,000 gal pool or $2360 worth :whip:

OR

You could purchase 27 bags of pool salt @ 6 per 40 lb bag. for a total of $162 and spend $35 for 20 lbs of Cyanuric Acid and walk away for less than $200 total.

Save yourself the $2000+ and mix it yourself :mrgreen:

Edited to correct information about borax

Poolschoolgrad said:
California has regulations prohibiting the sale of Borax so there is a special formation for California users
That's not really true. You can find 20 Mule Team Borax in most grocery stores in California. The issue is the regulation for transportation and disposal of "hazardous waste" and Borax just crosses that line (in California's tighter regulations) when in concentrated form so that requires more paperwork and cost (hazardous waste licensed transporters), but it's not prohibited from sale. The manufacturers of these pool products simply decided not to pay the extra cost and offer the product with that formulation. You can nevertheless get not only Borax, but also boric acid from sources in California as well as shipped to California, though shipping is more expensive (as expected).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.