Need help with my battle

kawfytawk

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 5, 2010
Waco, Texas
Hi

Had a weird day yesterday. Have green pool so gathered my bleach and test kit- tf-100 and started to get ready for the fight. My cya seemed to be 50 and my tc was 4 I decided to shock and tried to get it to 20. An hour later. When I added the r-870 I got a slight tinge of pink and after I swirled it it was clear...clear? So I panicked and decided to add enough to bring it again to 20 and an hour later. The test was the same but this time I added a drop of the r-871 (curiosity) and it started to turn pink..what the heck. I sent hubby to pool store this am for correct readings....see below

Test Name                              Acceptable Range       Value
Free Available Chlorine          1 to 4 ppm                    6.03  high
Total Chlorine                         1 to 4 ppm                   6.03  high
Combined Chlorine                <0.2ppm                      0  OK
Total Alkalinity                      80 to 120 ppm             221  high
pH level                                  7.2 to 7.6                     7.9  high
Calcium Hardness                  200 to 500 ppm           26 low
Cyanuric Acid                        20 to 50 ppm               19  low
Copper was 0
Iron was 0
Total Dissolved Solids           0 to 2000 ppm             0 OK
Saturated Index                      -0.3 to 0.3 ppm            -0.3  OK

So I guess I am asking ...could my r-870 have gone bad over the winter? Was kept in a drawer away from water, heat, and cold

Pool store was telling my DH to flock and brush vacuum, back wash blah blah

I don't want to begin my TFP method of algae fighting unless I know I have my test kit working well

Thanks in advance

Becca

Ok. Spoke with Duraleigh, found out that sometimes I need to use more than 1 scoop of r-870 and that actually I dosed again off the assumption I had zero fc when actually I had quite bit. The pool store test results were waaaay off. I retested the water and found my fc to be at 26 and I am going with my test result of 50 for cya. Thankfully I had 50 vs 19 cya to buffer my error on bleach dosing. This is my 2nd season so I am still learning and still so very thankful for everyone at TFP! I even got a proper lesson on how to use my filter since the pool installer assumed I knew...thank you Duraleigh!

Melt in the Sun

I had no idea you could/should add more powder. If the directions say ONE scoop...that is what I do :? .....in any case...lesson learned and I am feeling much more confident with MY results vs the pool store.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.