Leaf Net Cover ?

budysr

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 26, 2007
Pensacola
I have read a couple of threads on the forum that ask the same question but I wanted to bring up the topic again hoping for more responses. Anyway, I am basically not planning on closing my pool this winter since I am in Florida and don't deal with too many freezes, but I do have lots of oak tree leaves to deal with, especially in the early spring. Can these leaf net covers I have seen mentioned on the forum be used WITHOUT a cover underneath them? The ones I have seen online all are designed to be used on top of a cover. Has anybody actually used one of these nets without a cover under it? If so, is it easy enough to pull the net full of leaves off the pool without losing debris into the pool?

Reactions: ar1220
I have pulled a leaf cover full of wet leaves off the pool by myself and it wasn't fun. With two people and a little advance planning it can be alright but I still find it annoying. I suppose it depends on the size of your pool. My pool is 18x36 and a huge pile of wet leaves isn't all that much fun once you get wet and it is cold out.

The mistake I made the first time, if I can describe this right, is that I was pulling on one end of the cover up over and across the other end, trying to pull a big pile of wet leaves out. The other end of the cover was only anchored by some water bags, so it fell into the water and dumped everything in the pool. So what I do now is fold the cover in half and have each of two people grab two meeting corners and pull the whole cover off with the leaves in the middle.

You can use a leaf net without a solid cover under it. It needs to be held in place with water bags or tie downs, just like a solid cover. The main issue is that you don't want leaves to sit in the water for weeks, so you need to empty it fairly regularly while leaves are falling.

A standard leaf net that gets left to freeze into the ice will only last one or two seasons. They make special sturdier leaf nets that can hold up despite being frozen into the ice.

Some people use the leaf net only approach, not my personal preference, but nothing wrong with it. Depending on the size of the pool you can sometime rake leaves off the net, instead of pulling it entirely off to get the leaves off.

Thanks again Jason. I mainly want something to catch the oak tree leaves in the early spring here which is when they shed ALL their leaves. I'm talking about not more than a month of needing something, otherwise my pool will be covered up with tree leaves. I may try the leaf net instead of a cover since it sounds like it could be a little easier to empty and put back on.

I'm gonna' try something in a week or so that may be pertinent to this thread.

Rather than supporting my leaf net with the solar cover (which is a pain in my large pool), I'm planning on placing a few innertubes in strategic spots to support the leaf net. I will secure them (to the sides and each other) with small rope so they don't drift and, hopefully, they will provide the support the leaf net needs and be easier than placing the solar cover on and off. I'll post back....success or failure.

I'm also struggling with the "falling leaves" issue (for the very first time).

The previous owner covered the pool with a 20X40 solid cover through last winter.
In NC, I understand that a leaf cover might be adequate ? yes/no ?

Seems to me that a plan would be to do a combination of the inner tubes/leaf cover and than use a blower to remove the leaves before they build up.

With a cover under the leaf cover, the leaves would stay dry ? yes/no ? (precluding rain of course)

With only a leaf cover, can it be placed tight enough to keep leaves that fall on it dry until blown off ? yes/no ?
(seems like the weight of the leaves would make that an impractical expectation....)

How about inflating several "tubes". tie them together and place them in the center of the pool. Then put a solid cover over them forming a dome, to keep water from building up and forcing the leaves toward the edge for removal ???

just another newbie
pj

pjhimself said:
I'm also struggling with the "falling leaves" issue (for the very first time).

The previous owner covered the pool with a 20X40 solid cover through last winter.
In NC, I understand that a leaf cover might be adequate ? yes/no ? Yes, especially in a mild climate like New Bern

Seems to me that a plan would be to do a combination of the inner tubes/leaf cover and than use a blower to remove the leaves before they build up. I doubt you would have much luck with a blower. Many leaves would most likely work there way to the edge and then into the pool....if there's a way into the pool, they seem to find it

With a cover under the leaf cover, the leaves would stay dry ? yes/no ? (precluding rain of course) A ridgid cover....Yes....A solar Cover.....No

With only a leaf cover, can it be placed tight enough to keep leaves that fall on it dry until blown off ? yes/no ?
(seems like the weight of the leaves would make that an impractical expectation....) Yeah, it wont work....the leaf net has too much sag.

How about inflating several "tubes". tie them together and place them in the center of the pool. Then put a solid cover over them forming a dome, to keep water from building up and forcing the leaves toward the edge for removal ??? Doable, but you'll need a lot of tension on that cover to keep it from collapsing into the pool at some point

just another newbie
pj

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.