I've drained my pool...now what?

rrself

May 23, 2010
Denton, TX
About a month ago my pump broke and I was just recently able to get it working again. As you can imagine, over that time my pool turned a lovely shade of forest green. Maybe it wasn't necessary, but I decided to just drain the whole pool and start over. I've been wanting to replace my pool light with a new one, so I'm planning to do that while it's empty. Is there any other maintenance I should take advantage of while it's empty? Maybe replace the drain covers with the new safer ones? I'd like to redo the tile and coping, but that's not in the budget at the moment.

When I refill the pool, is there a special process or anyhting I need to be aware of?

I'm thinking of going with the Hayward Colorlogic LED light. Any idea if it's worth the money? Is there a better one?

Sorry for all of the questions at once.

Thanks

Texas has been pretty dry, but you do need to be mindful of the water table in your area. If by some miracle a big, big storm comes along while the pool is empty you might end up popping the shell out of the ground a bit.

Definitely put in the new safety covers. Check your fill water for metals before you refill if you suspect that may be a problem in your area.

When you refill all you really need to do is adjust the chemistry to get it into balance from where ever it starts, nothing I would call special. First time plaster startups have lots of special rules, but refills are easy.

Now what? Now you wait til the next door neighbor leaves for work (or vacation -even better!) and drag a hose over to his faucet.....

I just had to post that. It was the first thing that popped into my head when I saw that subject line. And now that you've had a couple serious replies, I could post it.

rrself said:
I'm thinking of going with the Hayward Colorlogic LED light. Any idea if it's worth the money? Is there a better one?

I just replaced my old pool light with a pentair intellibrite 5g. From what I read the intellibrite and colorlogic are very similar performance wise. What I found is that when set to white, it's as bright as my old 200w halogen light was; although it's white instead of yellow (which is nice). The other colors are really cool but much dimmer. So, less power consumption and the color changes are cool... if you can swing the price of the light it's a nice feature imo.

You only need to acid wash if there is something wrong, say calcium scaling.

Some people like to pressure wash when the have the pool drained. But there isn't any need to do so unless it is exceptionally dirty.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.