solar cover tricks/storage

Mar 22, 2011
We have a 24' round with a small deck/fence that goes around it. The cover is so cumbersome, the reels look interesting, but I can't see how one would work in my circumstance. Looking for ideas to make life easier, as I think the cover will really help keep the heat, but because it was such a pain, we didn't use it much last year. Also considering the solar panels.

That's a really great pool you have there!

We have a smaller Intex round and I've been asking myself the same question. We're upgrading our solar cover this year and I'm thinking that I'm going to try this:

Solar Cover Reel Solution

I was initially looking for instructions for making shepherd's hooks out of PVC that I can stick in the ground next to the pool so I can slide the cover off by myself, but everything I've read about how the covers degrade when not cared for properly lead me to think sectioning the cover and rolling them up in this manner will be a better solution.

I figure if we have a storm, I'll haul out the debris cover so we don't lose the solar cover pieces.

Before I had a reel I used to roll mine up and drape it on the far side of the pool with the ends hanging off. That was fine for when it was just me & hubby in the pool, but for a party or something I would have to do something else with it.

I can't tell from your picture how much space is between the pool and the fence, but maybe there is enough room to tuck it there. Or maybe you can rig something similar to the Solar Saddle, but attach it to the fence instead of to the pool? Cutting it into 2-3 sections would definitely help.

Also, go with the lightest one you can get (8 or 12 mil). None of them last more than 2-3 season in my experience, so you may as well get something lighter that is going to be easier to handle.

don't bother upgrading a solar cover - the expensive ones don't last any longer than the cheap ones and they are heavier and more cumbersome to maneuver. I rarely put mine on or off from outside the pool, almost always work from in the water, so this may not apply for everyone - but I just get in, and start rolling it up as tight as I can then I take one end and kind of lift it in the air a bit to make sure the water from that third is drained then I fold it at about the 1/3 point and lift the fold up on the edge of the pool to keep the water draining. I work it down to the other end then fold that over the other part as I gently push the whole thing out of the pool.

I have a length of sunbrella fabric that I put over it and tuck under to protect the bundle from the sun and that is about it. makes it fairly compact and draining the water out keeps the weight down. For a 30 foot pool I would sure thing about cutting it into two or three pieces - makes it much easier to handle.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.