Can you trust the pool shop?

I am new at this, so at first I had know where to turn but the pool shop. For the past two summers I have trusted these folks to tell me every week what I need to poor into the pool. I’m looking at somewhere between $25 - $75 bucks a week during pool season.
They always have something for me to do. Thankfully I have a buddy that helped me get the pool open or I would have been a lot deeper in the hole. One store wanted a $1000 just to come take a look.

Funny thing is they always ask me what my water looks like, seems like they should be able to tell me from the test.
I guess I got pi$$ed of last summer when they told me that the tabs I was buying at Sam’s Club were harming my pool and I would need to drain 1/3 of the pool and refill using only there tabs. But, the ingredients of there tabs and the Sam’s tabs were the same.

Is the pool shop nickel and diming me to death?
:blah:

lewis said:
Is the pool shop nickel and diming me to death?
Yes, except they've passed the nickel & dime and have gotten into the tens & hundreds. :(

Your best bet is to read Pool School, learn all you can, buy your own test kit and take over the pool maintenance yourself.
I spend about $20 a month on chems.

Hi Lewis! :wave:

I think you were getting "Pool Stored" You have found the best place on the net to help get your pool squared away. Stick with us. :goodjob:

P.S. As woody said we sell advice here, so since I typed 1,000,000 key strokes on the post @ $0.10 a stroke well the left arm and right leg will be fine for payment. Make sure you use dry ice and pack them well be fore shipping!!!! :hammer: :whoot:

Welcome aboard! :cheers:

welcome aboard

Now if we can be of any help you need to tell us about your pool size, equipmentl, what part of the country your located in, typical use, etc. Then when you get your own quality test kit you can post detailed numbers and we can go from there.

Ike

Hi Lewis, welcome to TFP! I will tell you to buy just 1 more thing. A high quality test kit such as the TF 100 or the Taylor K2006. (The TF 100 is the best value, it has more testing reagents than the K2006) The testing you do will be more accurate than the tests run by the pool stores. When you know what is in your water, you can take control of your pool and have the water balanced. Most of what is needed to balance a pool is available in your local grocery store.

Last year when they told you to drain 1/3 of the water it was likely due to a high CYA level, their tabs would have been just as guilty of raising the CYA as the Sam's club tabs.

If you find you need to rely on pool store testing until you are able to get a good test kit, then do so, but when they try to sell you this or that, whatever it is, tell them you think you have some at home. Then come here, post the results, and we will tell you what you need.

Welcome to TFP :wave:

What they all said...get a good test kit, such as the ones dicussed in Pool School (link in my sig), read Pool School, and you can thank us later :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I visited my local pool store for the first time today.

They seemed like good people to me. Even offered to sell me a Taylor K-2006 test kit.

I told them I already had one & explained I just wanted to compare my test results with theirs (my pool builder suggested it).

They were cool with it.

This place can make you a very confident pool owner. I found my way here after the wifey couldn't stand it any more and bought a pool. I didn't know anything about keeping up a pool, but had heard of the typical pool store visit from people I work with. Long story short, get a good test kit, read all you can here, if you don't understand something post a question or do a search. Couldn't get any easier.
Good luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.