Hoping for HELP to identify this pool.

Apr 20, 2011
Hello my new friends. :mrgreen:
I bought a pool on craigslist. It is a 28' by 52" round pool. I have spent about 20 hours in the last few days trying to figure out the model and manufacturer. I paid $850.00 for it and I know I will have to buy a new liner. The guy who I purchased this pool from did work for a lady who bought this forclosed home. The home was built 4 years ago, so we know that the pool is at most, 4 years old. It is a steel wall because a magnet will stick to it. It currently has a beaded liner, but I am told I can purchase an overlap liner which is cheaper. Of course, the guy who I purchased this from says to just reuse the old liner. He says the liner feels very soft and pliable and that it is a very heavy gauge (he says 25). The pool comes with a Hayward sand filter pump 1.5 hp. It also came with the ladder, solar cover on reel and then a winter cover.

So... I am wondering if anyone wants to look at the picture of this pool I bought, and a picture of the site where the Belize pool is and let me know if they think it is the same pool. OR if anyone maybe knows what this pool is.

Here is the craigslist ad of the pool I bought:
http://nmi.craigslist.org/for/2331200552.html

And here is a link at pro-pools that shows the one I think it is (other than the guy says it is 28' and pro-pool doesn't sell one that is 28'. They do have a 27' and their instructions show a 28'. Weird, I know. Does anyone know if Wil-Bar ever made a 28' round 52inch deep pool?
http://www.propools.com/belize_above_ground_pools.php
(and the instructions showing the 28' on the same page of the above link are here:)
http://www.propools.com/instructions_ow ... ctions.pdf

Please help me. I purchased this pool without my husbands consent, and he is upset with me for buying something like this without knowing what 'kind' of pool it is. Any suggestions, thoughts or ideas??? :oops:

Thanks in advance!!! :goodjob: (my first post by the way)

Welcome to TFP.

First off don't panic. It really doesn't matter what brand pool it is unless you need to order parts. They all install generally the same. The equipment hooks up the same and the leveling, plumbing, truing, smoothing is all the same no matter what brand you have.

As long as something's not bent you'll be fine. If you and DH & friends are handy in general constructions and are willing to take time and care you will be able to figure out how to assemble it.

If you have any questions, you can always come back here and ask and you'll get a pretty quick answer.

Also, post a closeup pic of the top rails and the wall and maybe someone will recognize the brand.

Thank You Bama Rambler. I was panicking, thanks for realizing that.... I was starting to think I should let them keep my deposit and not go through with the deal. I have always wanted a "real" pool and this one is a nice step up from our 15' round intex pool :D It does have a beaded liner, but I was told I can just buy the layover type liner which will come with everything I need to use that liner instead of buying a new beaded liner. By the way, is it possible that liner may not have shrunk? He says it is in very good condition, soft and a very heavy liner and he thinks it is still fine to use. But on the net, I have read that a person shouldn't even try to reuse a liner, especially a beaded. Any thoughts on that?

Also, I will add a close up pic of the rail and such tomorrow. He is bringing the rest of the pool tomorrow and then I have to give him the balance of what I owe him. He said the solar cover has to be trailered because it is on a reel or something. I haven't seen that part of the pool, so I am curious what this is going to look like. LOL

Please don't be scared by my next statement. When he delivers it look at every piece. If the wall is bent or wrinkled, refuse it then and there. If anything else is bent (i.e. a bottom or top rail, etc) make him straighten it enough to use before you hand him the money. If you can find the brand and model you can order most parts for it but if the wall is bent it can't be straightened and it's not worth buying a new one.

Now that I've scared the living daylights out of you. Don't worry too much. Most likely there's nothing wrong with it and everything will be fine.

It's worth trying to use the liner if it's in good shape and hasn't been abused chemically. You'll be able to tell if it's worth it because it'll be pliable and the color will be good. The biggest issue you're going to have with reusing it is lining up the skimmer and return holes. A little care and patience should take care of that though.

What I'd do is go ahead and hang the liner and line those up and mount the skimmer and return fitting and then work the wrinkles out away from them.

Okay... I will definitely look at the pool closely. I was checking into pool coves... do you have any suggestions where I should buy that if the pool transaction takes place tomorrow? If there is anything wrong with it, is it proper to ask for my deposit back? I gave him 200 and balance due when he delivers the pool. Did you look at the picture of the pool I posted? Does it look messed up to you from what you can see?

Here is the link to the pool. He took this picture the day he took it down which was this last fall. Everything other than the ladder has been stored in his garage. Take a peek and let me know what you think. Thank you so so so much for all your help and advice. I really have been worked up, and it doesn't help that the one pool place I called and was asking questions to said, "good luck" you just wasted 850 on a pool you know nothing about. :(

I can't tell a lot from the pic but I don't see anything wrong with it. If he didn't break anything taking it apart and the wall isn't bent then it's a good deal. And, yes it would be prefectly proper and expected to get your deposit back if there's something wrong with it that can't be easily fixed.

Thank You Bama :D You are now my Pool Hero.
I am going to start looking up what all I need for the install. I know I should get the Polyethylene Plastic Sheeting, Pool Cove, find out how much sand and exactly what kind to get. I also am thinking I might want to buy new gaskits for the skimmer. Are these mostly universal for all Above ground pools ? Is there anything else besides a testing kit, set up chemicals and tools that we will need that I am missing?

If there are any suggestions as to what not to do and what to do... what not to bother to buy and what I definitely should buy..... I am all ears :D For example, I can buy polyethylene sheeting from the hardware store for next to nothing vs the Gorilla Pad. Which would you do? Is spending the extra money on the gorilla pad necessary?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You don't HAVE to have the gorilla pad you can spray nutgrass herbicide under the pool once the ground is prepped and just use sand. However if the choice is plastic sheeting or gorilla pad, the only choice is gorilla pad. Before you buy a new skimmer gasket look at the existing one and if it's in great shape you can just use it. If it's not you'll need to take it with you to be sure to get the correct one. You probably will need to buy a new return fitting gasket. The only chemicals I'd buy is a few jugs of bleach and a 3lb jug of stabilizer. Once you get the kit you can test the fill water and post the results and we can tell you what you need once you get it full of water.

The one thing you should definitely buy is a good test kit. You need to order it because almost none of the stores carry the correct one. They'll tell you they're the same but they aren't.

While you're waiting to get the pool up you should read Pool School. There's a button for it at the top of every page. Post questions about anything you don't understand..

Okay.... that doesn't sound good. I will look it over tomorrow when he comes and if it is wrinkled anywhere on the wall, I will tell him I the deal is off. He can have his 60 dollars for delivery out of my deposit..... I thought I seen something there too, but thought it was just the way the picture looked. I am starting to have a bad feeling. I rather spend the money for a new pool than end up with something that is no good after I am deep into it.

Thank you (both) for saying something. I hope I have the 'balls' to say something to him once he is in my driveway. This may end up being a 200 dollar lesson, but that is better than 850+60, plus a new liner, the cove, the sand, the work. I will look it over very very good. I am glad you two said something.

Best of luck :goodjob: FWIW, if it is slightly bent try slashing the price. If the uprights are straight, the wall is pliable enough that when installed again on a level surface should just pop right back out again. AGPs have a lot more sideways pressure vs downward weight resting on the walls, unless it's on unlevel ground or the sand underneath has washed out on one side...so especially if the liner had been used and you need a new one...use the slightly bent wall as a "I don't want it, unless your willing to let it go at a much cheaper price" :scratch:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.