Hayward Navigator gearbox issue

Apr 20, 2011
I have a 7 year old Hayward Navigator that has had almost every part replaced. I do it myself and I am pretty good at repairing parts that need replacing. The device is only moving in the left direction. I have suspended it in the water and it only moves to the left. This is telling me that the gear box might have gone bad because I have checked and tightened everything else. My two issues are as such, there appears to be nothing wrong with the gear box and I have no clue how to remove it. I removed the top cover but that is it. The gears look okay, but I'm far from an expert.

Can anyone suggest something else that I do or try? I also have the original hoses and was wondering if I should replace them. Can you tell me if generic hoses work and last just as well?

Thanks,

Marc

Hi, welcome to TFP! If the hoses are in good shape, no crazing, cracks, splits, or chips, then I see no reason to replace them. I can't help with your gearbox problem but I am bumping your post so more people will see it.

I had the same problem which started AFTER I replaced the Gear Box - when I blow into it, it did not spin, seems to be too many gears, just too much resistance. Since the gearbox is ~ 1 month old, I was thinking I should return it.

I also noticed that the left side 'foot' (has the 2 pods on it) has some play on the A frame, right side has NO play at all. How can it develop I don't know, but when I tightened the screw down, the play disappeared. Taking apart the Gear Box, and replacing each gear and blowing to verify turbine spin and I got that working OK

And now it works!

Although it will still get hung up on the bottom drains sometimes

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.