SR400NA Max-E-Therm power (ET4)

leered

Mar 16, 2011
Hello,

How does a heater (Max-E-Therm 40k BTU) get powered in a EasyTouch 4? Just connect to a standard /1 pole 15/20A breaker? I checked the heater electrical diagram and it seems is already set for 120V. Attached is pic of electrical panel and wirign diagram. I hope someone familiar with this heater can confirm no other parts/changes are needed in order to use at 120V.

Thanks in advance everyone!

Lee

Attachments

• HeaterElectrical.JPG
    HeaterElectrical.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 69
  • HeaterWiringDiagram.JPG
    HeaterWiringDiagram.JPG
    108.6 KB · Views: 69
On the bottom left of your photo is a plug with a number of black wire loops on it. That should be labeled 120 volt or 240 volt on the side of the plastic plug body. From what I can see in the picture, it looks like you have the 120 volt plug installed, but it is a good idea to look for the label just to be completely sure.

Thanks for the confirmation!

Based on the wiring diagram ( and page 28 of the manual, which I somehow missed :) ) it looks like the heater is 120V ready. However, the installer,said he'll need to come back with a part to make it work on 120V, as it is currently set for 240V. Maybe this has to do with the hourly rate ?! :)

Not dealing wit this on a daily basis, I thought I should double check-just to be sure.

I guess all I have to do is connect the wires to the breaker.
Oh, something else: I think ( I am not by the pool) there are only 2 wires coming from the heater (besides the thin wires for heater control). Shouldn't there be 3 wires ( 1 for ground)?

Thanks again!

Lee

leered said:
Based on the wiring diagram ( and page 28 of the manual, which I somehow missed :) ) it looks like the heater is 120V ready. However, the installer,said he'll need to come back with a part to make it work on 120V, as it is currently set for 240V.
The picture shows that the black plug is in. The black plug is the 120 volt plug; the 240 volt plug should be red. The heater comes from the factory wired for 240, so someone must have switched the plugs.

JamesW said:
leered said:
Based on the wiring diagram ( and page 28 of the manual, which I somehow missed :) ) it looks like the heater is 120V ready. However, the installer,said he'll need to come back with a part to make it work on 120V, as it is currently set for 240V.
The picture shows that the black plug is in. The black plug is the 120 volt plug; the 240 volt plug should be red. The heater comes from the factory wired for 240, so someone must have switched the plugs.

Thanks for the confirmation! Maybe my installer just assumed the heater still has the factory settings ...even though...you have to check NOT just assume! :)

Lee

Yes, there should be three power wires running to the heater, they are normally black, white, and green for 120 volt use. There will also be two low voltage wires running to the timer or automation system.

There is a picture on page 28 that shows the plugs, with the black one labeled as 120 and the red one labeled as 240. Before connecting the power, check the voltage of the power source to confirm that it is the same as the plug label.
The heater ships from the Factory with the 240V plug installed. Installing the 120V plug and then connecting the heater to 240V line current will immediately destroy the transformer, control board and ignition control module, and will void warranty. If you install the 240V plug and connect the heater to 120 volts line current, the heater will not operate.

JamesW said:
There is a picture on page 28 that shows the plugs, with the black one labeled as 120 and the red one labeled as 240. Before connecting the power, check the voltage of the power source to confirm that it is the same as the plug label.
The heater ships from the Factory with the 240V plug installed. Installing the 120V plug and then connecting the heater to 240V line current will immediately destroy the transformer, control board and ignition control module, and will void warranty. If you install the 240V plug and connect the heater to 120 volts line current, the heater will not operate.

Thanks for all the help! HEATER IS/WAS READY FOR 120V ! :) Tested : heater comes on when pushign HEATER button on ET4 panel)

Thanks again!
Lee

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.