How do you decide when to give up on a pump?

The pump starts out ok and then loses pressure. I replace o-rings today and still it is pretty pitiful. The skimmer basket is barely skimming anything, the bugs float into it but there isn't even enough pressure to suck them into the filter. I have taken everything apart, cleaned it, put it back together and looked over the owners manual repeatedly. What is worse is that the pump was used for about 6 week last year (brand new) and about 2 weeks this year; I would think that the pump should last longer than 8 weeks.

I am quite frustrated with trying to figure out what is wrong. I know the biggest problem that I have is that it is an Intex pump which is not exactly a quality pump to start with, but I would love to get one full summer out of it before I replace it.

Curious. What model is the pump? Is this a combined SWG and filter unit, or are they separate? Could you get a picture?
And don't take offense, but I have to ask this - have you tried a new filter cartridge?

The pump is the 633T and there is a separate saltwater generator. It came as a kit with the pool. I have tried putting in a new cartridge and I have repeatedly cleaned the filter cartridges.

Generally speaking, if the system is losing flow, there are a few things it can be. In their simplest form, 1) something may be impeding the output, 2) something may be impeding the input, 3) the system may be taking in air, or 4) the pump may not be moving water.

#3 should be easy - loosen the bleed screw on top of the filter canister when the system loses flow, and check to see if you have a lot of air.

1 and 2 may take some creative investigation, such as opening some hose connections to see what happens. Check the little hose underneath the unit between the pump and the filter can, too.

If it comes down to #4, for example, the impeller slipping on the motor shaft or some other motor problem, then naturally, you need a pump.

So we're back to your original question... when to throw in the towel. If the warranty folks are expeditious in their repairs, you may let them pursue their course until they change the pump, or you may be able to convince them to just get a new one and see how it does. You may even be able to replace the entire unit from ebay or Craigslist for less than the cost of your time.

I don't know if any of this helps you or not. Troubleshooting is a process of following symptoms and eliminating them until the root problem is uncovered and repaired. Sometimes it's more of an art...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.