Relocating Pump and Filter - What do I need to consider?

I aquired a home (forclosure) in the fall of 2009 with an inground pool. I had the pool running last year without any issues except the pump became noisy midway through the season.

I would like to relocate my pump and filter pad but I'm a little conerned that the pump and filter setup will be going from its current location of three feet downgrade from the pool to about one foot above grade from the pool. Is this okay? If so, how deep should the pipes be layed. I want them to come through a concrete slab are before pour it. I intend to removed the existing shed and build a 10ft. x 17ft. shed on a slab to protect the pool equipment.

I have a 38,000 gal. in ground pool located in southeastern Pennsylvania. Hayward D.E. Filter, 1.5 HP Hayward motor with 2 inch supply and returns. There are two wall skimmer returns, two wall skimmer supplies, two drains, and three floor supplies. Currently the filter and pump sit about 20 ft. from the pool down grade from the pool with no overhead cover. The filter and pump are unsightly to me and I would like to hide them from sight, protect them from the outdoor environment, as well as dampen the noise it produces.

I have attached an ovehead image of my pool. The yard slops the bottom of the image is higher and the top of the image lower. The red circle represents the current location of the pump and filter. The green circle is the propossed location. The blue lines leading from the pool the red circle already exist, the blue lines going from the red circle to the green circle would have to be trenched and layed.

I'm also assuming the pump needs the bearings replaced from the way it sounds. Is this something I can do myself, have repaired, or take to someone for repair?

Thanks,
-John

Attachments

• Pool.JPG
    Pool.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 384
  • Pool 1.JPG
    Pool 1.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 343
You may need to run a new electric line, instead of just extending the current line. It depends on how long the run is and what gauge wire was used originally.

It isn't a big deal, but the plumbing system will be less efficient after you extend the plumbing. You don't appear to have any water features, so you probably won't really notice, but it will likely need you to run the pump just a little longer each day.

That original equipment spot is about the dumbest I've ever seen. Right in the middle of the yard!?

You may be able to move it closer to the house but still out of the way (to the left in your bird's eye view). That may give you a shorter electric run; if so, you definitely wouldn't have to replace the old wiring. No pulling up the deck either. Also, having the equipment close to the back door is really convenient if the weather is nasty.

Be aware that if you cut the drain line while there is water in the pool, you will get water flow if the cut is below the water surface. You need to prepare if you are going to do that. Lots of water comes out!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks guys. The makeshift deck/walkway, patio, and shrubs have already been removed in preparation of this relocation. The photos are from last year. I have been busy ripping out lots of junk that was jammed in the back yard.

Thanks for the tip about the water running out of the pool. Do the PVC lines need modified stone around them or do I just bury them in the clay soil? What depth is advised for the PVC?

I definitly want to run new electric so I don't have a junction in the middle of the yard. Is a 20 amp breaker and 12/2 wire adequate?

You can just bury the PVC in dirt. Depth isn't a big concern so long as you keep them deep enough that you aren't going to hit them while landscaping. Try to avoid creating low spots in the pipes to make it easier to blow the water out for winterization.

I added photos I took yesterday.

Would it make more sense to have the plumbing come through the cement pad of the new pool shed or have it come up from the ground outside the shed and through the wall of the shed. I leaning toward the through the wall of the shed incase I have any plumbing issues. at least I can dig up the line iwithout destroying my shed. What are your thoughts?

What about the noisy pump... Any suggestions?

Attachments

• Pump Label.JPG
    Pump Label.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 275
  • Pool Area 1.JPG
    Pool Area 1.JPG
    110 KB · Views: 274
I, like you, prefer for it to come up outside and go through the wall, but plumbing problems that would involve you breaking up the concrete are so rare that it's mostly not needed. I'm just paranoid that way.

As for the pump, you can try replacing the bearings or just buy a more efficient model. With a 38,000 gallon pool you'll probably need to stick with 1½ hp uprated pump or go with a 1 hp full rated pump. I suggest the Pentair Whisperflo models. Hopefully it's running on 240 volts and not 120 volts.

Correct wire size is going to depend on voltage and length of run to the breaker box. I suggest you put a small sub panel in the shed so you can add things later, if nothing else it would be nice to have an electrical outlet in there and a light bulb.

Ike

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.