Greetings to all !

Hi folks -

I'm new here - just found this site. I've been battling the green swamp for longer than I'd care to admit :oops: and I've been researching the net trying to find a solution. Well - I found it and it's right HERE!!! :goodjob: THIS SITE ROCKS!! :whoot: The Pool School is the best that I've found on the entire internet, as well as the Pool Calculator! Great job !!! I'll be back here as often as I need to be to pick your-all's brains when I get stumped on something.

Now - all I need to do is figure out a way to leave work early so I can go home and do battle with the dreaded algea!

Thanks all!

Mike

Flotsam said:
Hi folks -

I'm new here - just found this site. I've been battling the green swamp for longer than I'd care to admit :oops: and I've been researching the net trying to find a solution. Well - I found it and it's right HERE!!! :goodjob: THIS SITE ROCKS!! :whoot: The Pool School is the best that I've found on the entire internet, as well as the Pool Calculator! Great job !!! I'll be back here as often as I need to be to pick your-all's brains when I get stumped on something.

Now - all I need to do is figure out a way to leave work early so I can go home and do battle with the dreaded algea!

Thanks all!

Mike

Hello Mike and welcome to the Forum. Just follow the directions in Pool School on getting rid of algae and you will have a clear pool in no time.

And I guarantee if you post your current testing numbers on your pool that you will get plenty of feedback and any questions answered. You can use the signature line to post the details on your pool (type, size, equipment, etc) as those facts help others help with your pool. Again welcome and good luck with your pool.

Thanks for the warm welcome. :wave:

I added some pool data to the signature line so you-all have an idea of what I have. I'll add more as I discover it.

This is my third pool by the way. No. 1 was totally maintained by a pool service. All I ever did was empty the skimmer basket (but not the lint pot) and clean out the leaves and occasionally brush it and add water (it leaked).

Pool No. 2 was a screen enclosed SWG system that I maintained - if you want to call it that. It took care of itself! :goodjob: Again - all I ever did was empty the skimmer basket and lint pot, backwash, clean out the very small debris (and snakes - yikes!) and occasionally brush it. I loved that pool. :-D

Pool No. 3 - current one - is a friggin' nightmare. The previous occupant did very little maintainance - preventive or otherwise. There are sizable pits on the bottom and the deck at one end has heaved upward about an inch leaving a nice gap just above the top tile. The flap gate at the skimmer is missing as well. This does not have a screen enclosure or SWG. :cry: :grrrr: The previous occupant actually REMOVED the SWG! :shock:

I'm having to learn the finer points of balancing the water - but first it's crisis management time in order to kill the blasted algae. I briefly looked at the BBB technique mentioned in the Pool School section and it looks interesting. I'm also all for saving money. So far I've been buying my chemicals at Wal-Mart so I'm not being gouged too bad by the pool store (no offense to any "pool store" folks on here).

Anyway - that's my story and I'm sticking to it. If you don't hear from me in a few days it's just that I'm either digging deeper into this wonderful site or battling the dreaded algae! I'll come up for air (pun intended) every now and again and post something or reply as I learn more.

Mike