No gear, no chemicals...where do I start?

Apr 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
We bought a fixer-upper last year and just got the liner in the pool replaced.

We have no pool gear (other than a working pump), or chemicals. The guys that installed the liner got us up and running and made sure the pumps work and got the various levels of things correct, but now we're on our on.

(Showing my ignorance here...) I know we've got a place near our pump where you can drop chlorine tablets in (no idea what it's called).

I believe the pool is about 15'x30'.

So, a few questions...

1) What are "must have" items (brush, skimming net, etc etc)?

2) What should I be doing on a weekly basis to make sure the water stays clear/swimmable?

Are you sure you have a spot to drop tablets in? All the chlorinator systems I've seen are post filter, which is post pump (although I'm no expert). I think what you are referring to is your filter basket for the pump, and you should not put tablets in that basket. In fact, you may want to avoid tablets alltogether, which you'll learn about in the pool school link provided.

Shpigford said:
We bought a fixer-upper last year and just got the liner in the pool replaced.

We have no pool gear (other than a working pump), or chemicals. The guys that installed the liner got us up and running and made sure the pumps work and got the various levels of things correct, but now we're on our on.

(Showing my ignorance here...) I know we've got a place near our pump where you can drop chlorine tablets in (no idea what it's called).

I believe the pool is about 15'x30'.

So, a few questions...

1) What are "must have" items (brush, skimming net, etc etc)?

2) What should I be doing on a weekly basis to make sure the water stays clear/swimmable?

There is great information available here and specifically under Pool School. I strongly suggest reading the whole Pool School section.

1) A Wall Whale brush, leaf rack, vacuum hose, vacuum plate, vacuum head, telescoping pole, good test kit (one is available on this site) are part of a good start. On a large pool, my opinion is an automatic pool cleaner is a good thing to have.

2) Test, Test, Test. Testing and Tracking is the key. If you track/record your test data, you will get a good idea of when you need to do what. You will see a pattern. For TA in my pool, I need to check it about every 4 weeks but I check pH weekly (every pool is different).

It is a big help to the Forum if you put your pool details in your signature line (type, size, equipment, etc).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.