New Problem with new pool!!

noj70

Dec 8, 2010
So I have been waiting a week to hear back from the place where I bought my pool.
It seems that the skimmer opening is cut too high on the wall and they are trying to figure out why.
As it is right now, the face plate for the skimmer would sit over top of the bead track.
Does anyone know if they make a smaller bead track? The top of the skimmer opening to the bottom of the bead track is only 5/8". The top of the skimmer opening to the top of the pool wall is 2 5/8".
Before I put the liner in I installed the butterfly gasket for the skimmer and had to put the top part of it between the bead track and the wall. They have suggested cutting the face plate, but I don't think this is the right answer.
I just drained the foot of water I had in the pool to adjust the liner since the floor shifted so I have an opportunity now to do something if I need to.
I just hope someone has a good answer on this one.
Thanks,

skimmer1 by be_fruitfulandmultiply, on Flickr

skimmer2 by be_fruitfulandmultiply, on Flickr

I am still waiting for the pool company to get back to me with a final answer. I did talk to them this morning and they have been discussing it with the warehouse to find out what went wrong. He did state that according to the manufacturer the measurement from the top of the skimmer to the top of the wall should be 3 1/4". So this tells me that I am correct in thinking that the cut out is too high. It is possible that I will need a new wall. This pool is so big that the wall is two sections. Now for my question today.... How long can the liner hang without water in it before it gets damaged. The pool has not been filled yet. Only have had about a foot and a half in it. If they offer to send me a new wall, should I tell them to send me a liner also??

Well they emailed me back with 2 options;
Option 1...Replace the wall once the manufacturer approves it.
Option 2...Cut the skimmer plate just above the screw holes then round it off so it won't dig into the liner.
I have taken time off of work that I can't get back to install this pool. I wouldn't mind a new wall, but I think I might ask them to send some installers down to replace it if I decide to go this route. I know option 2 would be faster, but they would need to find a shop that could do the work to the faceplate.
Just looking for opinions now to see what some of you would do in my situation.
Thanks,

I'm torn, I want to say nothing but a new wall section would do, BUT, since the skimmer is actually higher than normal that means that the water level will be higher and I've wished mine was an inch higher at times. I know it's more work for you but I still think a new wall section is the proper fix.

Well I am thinking about going with the faceplate, but have them keep the wall option open in case the faceplate doesn't work. Also he just emailed me and said he found some smaller bead track that would work. Now if I could just figure out this liner!!!! I have adjusted and adjusted, but no matter what, I have big wrinkles on the wall in some spots. No way should a liner take this long to get right. I am about to give up and see if a local guy can come and at least advise me as to what needs to be done to get it right.

I have the pictures in a different post,
liner-help-new-problems-please-help-t29859.html
I have a thought and am waiting an answer from the pool company. They sent the pieces that clip an overlap liner in with the wall. Since I may have built my floor a little too high and have slack on the walls and I have the whole faceplate issue, would it be okay to pull the liner over the wall just a tiny bit and use the overlap pieces to secure it?? This would take care of the few problems I am having and I could start filling the pool. Please let me know if for any reason this might cause problems down the road.
Thanks

Well I have now turned my beaded liner into an overlap!! Pool is filling and everything is looking great. I am finally relieved and can't wait to get it filled.
Thanks again for all your help!!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.