Astral Multiport Valve

Mar 23, 2011
Monaco
The other day I was messing around and putting some DE into my filter. As usual when I finished I opened up the riser on the discharge side of the filter to allow some water to flow back into the filter to top it up. The water flowed back through the diffuser. I closed up the filter and thought not much more about it.
But last night in bed I realised that something here is fundamentally wrong. When I opened the riser on the discharge side of the filter should the water not have filled from the bottom of the filter. That got me thinking that perhaps I have a problem with the mulitport valve allowing water to bypass. Anyway I opened it up today and everything looked ok but there is very little pressure from the rotor onto the spider gasket. How can this seal then? I took a few photos and the other thing is - how do you get the spider gasket out? It seems to be well and trully stuck down there???

Attachments

• P1000860.JPG
    P1000860.JPG
    133.5 KB · Views: 87
  • P1000856.JPG
    P1000856.JPG
    318.2 KB · Views: 87
  • P1000857.JPG
    P1000857.JPG
    247.1 KB · Views: 87
You can see the spring on the rotor shaft in one of your photos. It doesn't need to provide a great deal of pressure, but it does need to provide some pressure. If there are problems you can replace the spring, though nothing you have described really sounds like there is a problem with that spring.

The usual way to refill the filter is to open the air bleed valve on top while the pump is running.

Bama Rambler said:
The spring seats the disc back in place, the seal is improved by the hydraulic pressure inside valve itself.

Thanks for the info - It just seemed strange to me that the water came out the diffuser and not the lower elements... (first post)

I'll look into replacing the spring...

Also water started to leak out of the valve cover (you can see a little discolouring on the floor in one of the photos) when I put it all back together today and I have had to use an unreasonable amount of force on the bolts to get something like a seal. The O ring looked OK but I think I should replace it to be sure.

Again does anyone know if the spider gasket can be removed and replaced? I just want absolutely sure that everything is 100%.

Yours in paranoia.

Jonathan

Bama Rambler said:
Yes the spider gasket can be replaced. Since you're going to have it open you might as well replace it too.

Thanks for the info - does it just pull straight out because it seems that it is really well stuck down..

The other thing that I can't figure is that small bits of leaf that gets picket up in the skimmer and are small enough to get through the pump strainer still find there way back to the pool :x - this does not make sense to me... :?:

Bama Rambler said:
The spider is glued down and has to be scraped up.

If the valve is bypassing particles then replacing the spring and seals should help with that. It shouldn't bypass anything.

Thanks for that - I can't see how it could get pass at any other place - certainly not through 600 lbs of sand, gravel and also DP... :!:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.