Question about my new plumbing

Jun 29, 2010
Austin, TX
Today the builder ran the plumbing for our new pool. They are using all 2" plumbing. I have the following equipment: pump, cartridge filter, heater, Goldline cell SWG. (Details in my sig).

I'll try to describe the plumbing as it was too dark to get a pic by the time they left.

Separate main drain and skimmer line to a 3 way jandy valve. From 3 way Jandy valve thru a check valve (with clear window) into pump. From pump to filter. From filter thru flow switch to heater. From heater thru check valve (no window) to cell. From cell to returns. 

What puzzles me is in the box of equipment delivered to be installed were 2 on/off jandy valves that they did not use. Should they have used them? Where would they go if so?

It seems to me there is no way to cut off flow from pool to equipment. The three way can open both skimmer and drain, just drain, or just skimmer. But there is no way to close it off completely. 

Thanks,
Mike

A check valve on the suction side of a pump is usually considered a mistake. It should have gone on the pump's exhaust side. If you are in an area where the pool needs to be winterized, the annual ritual of removing the check valve's top with the flapper and turning it will eventually cause stripped screws, worn o-rings, or broken hold downs.

While racket mentioned breaking the tab on the handle, I usually loosen the screw and lift the handle over the stop.

Scott

It is worth having a check valve in that location if the pump is more than two feet above the water line.

The extra valves were probably intended to go on the return lines, so you could adjust the flow between the two (or more) lines.

Thanks for the responses. I live in central Texas so I'm not to worried about freezes. I have a single 2" return line that feeds 3 eyelets with short (~foot) 1.5" lines. Not as good as 3 separate return lines but the pool is only 3900 gallons.

Here is a night shot of my plumbing. After reading the "dear mr. pool builder" thread I asked that they space out the equipment. Originally they were planning on only using about half of the 2nd pad, so the heater and filter would have been together on one pad.

Img_6710.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.