LifeTime Supporter
May 28, 2008
North Carolina
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
SWG Type
Intex Krystal Clear
My husband took our motor off to replace the bearings that were screeching to high heaven but the shaft was rusted and it broke!!! Is that part not suppose to be made of something that doesn't rust???

Now my beautiful sparkling clear pool is sitting with no pump and we are going to have 80 degree weather for several days! Can anyone recommend a good replacement pump? We don't need the strainer basket, but if it has to come with a new pump, I guess we will get that too.

Thank you, Nancy.

You can always go with the same pump, or you can try the Pentair Dynamo. I have a 1 hp 2 speed that I have been happy with. If you get another Hayward of the same model odds are you won't have to re-do any of the plumbing, and you can keep the old wet end for replacement parts.

That must have been really rusted. Something like that would only happen if water was getting inside the pump very frequently, probably a bad shaft seal. That would have also caused the bearings to fail.

If you have a cover pump or other small pump you can get some circulation going and that will help you keep things at least somewhat under control.

Getting either a motor or a pump isn't that difficult. Most pool stores will have something in stock, though not necessarily something ideal, and rush shipping can get something there by Wendsday.

My husband said that pump was not that old, so I dug around and found out that it is less than 3 years old!!! We had a Hayward for almost 10 years and replaced it with the Waterway. I just never updated my profile to reflect that. My mistake. I don't think I want another WaterWay pump.

Your quickest fix is going to be your local pool store, but that may not be your most economical one. I'd at least check with them. Another possibility would be a local electric motor shop. It's pretty common for them to have 48 & 56 frame motors in stock and they could probably replace it while you wait. Even your local pool store might have a repair department.

Yep should be no sweat to replace the motor, but find out what caused the failure and be sure to fix that!
In the meantime, throw a few bottles of bleach in the pool and sweep it a couple times a day to keep it under control.
Best of luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.