Check my planned 18' AGP purchase please

Apr 18, 2011
Hey all.

I've got two kids ages 11 and 9 and a host of neighborhood kids that heavily use my pool June-Sept each year. After 5 years of replacing my Walmart pool annually, I've decided to upgrade the whole system. My biggest issues have been poor frame strength due to the kids, winds, winter/snow, etc., leaking liners, poor filtration. Here is what I have on-tap to hopefully solve these issues.

1. 20' concrete pool pad (this was poured specifically for the pool last year)
2. 18' x 52" or 54" Doughboy Desert Spring Pool (From a local supplier. I will assembly myself)
3. 2hp Powerline Pump (Dual speed I think)
4. 24" AquaView Sand Filter
5. Intex Salt Water System (purchased this last year and really, really like it.)
6. Happy Bottom Pool Pad
7. Coving
8. Accessory kit (Ladder, vacuum, winter cover)
9. Automatic vacuum
10. Solar Cover, (already have a nice one from last year I really like)

Questions:
1. Are the filter and pump are sized appropriately. I really, really emphasized that I wanted a lot of filtration and circulation due to the number of kids using the pool in the summer. After reading these forums today it seems like it may be way overkill for a 7000 gallon pool. Is a dual speed pump necessary?

2. Am I missing anything major in the build list?

3. Price is $3500 plus tax for everything except the concrete, installation and the SWG. Great deal or a rip-off?

Thanks for the help!

Is

If you can get a smaller pump, perhaps a 1 HP. In any case be sure to get a two speed pump. Larger pumps use more electricity and cause the filter to not filter as well.

That is a decent filter for an above ground pool, still larger is always better with filters.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.