DRON's pump/filter question

DRON

Apr 5, 2011
I just purchased a new pool (24' AG), it's on its way. In the process I went with the Hayward Perflex EC50 filter with a 1.5hp pump. My question is this...now that i am getting a bunch of literature on pool supplies in the mail all i see places selling is the Perflex EC50 with only the 1hp pump. Is the 1.5 too much for this filter?

Re: New Pool - What to buy?

DRON said:
I just purchased a new pool (24' AG), it's on its way. In the process I went with the Hayward Perflex EC50 filter with a 1.5hp pump. My question is this...now that i am getting a bunch of literature on pool supplies in the mail all i see places selling is the Perflex EC50 with only the 1hp pump. Is the 1.5 too much for this filter?

Is it a two speed or single? Usually the bigger pump just means less time running to filter the whole pool. I do not think the bigger pump will hurt the filter.

DRON, I split this from the other thread to get more responses. It's usually better to start a new one than ask in an old one, even if the question is nearly the same :)

Not being all that familiar with that filter, if they are packaging them together I don't think it's likely that it will be damaged. That being said, a smaller pump will be much more efficient for your pool. If you can, I would get a 1 HP at the largest, and would definitely consider a 2-speed. Large, single speed pumps use much more electricity than is necessary.

I think a 1.5 HP pump may be too big for this filter, I have an EC75 with a 1.5 HP filter which seems to be correctly sized for my pool, your pool is above ground though and mine is inground so your return line has to lift the water a few feet, but this still seems like too much HP. The big concern with these EC Perflex style fitlers is operating pressure, particularly the pressure reduciton caused by clogged filter tubes, you want to always keep a careful eye on the pressure level and not allow more than a 10 psi raise before bumping the DE otherwise you may end up with torn filter tubes.

Ike.

I just heard back from Haward regarding this, they told me that a bigger pump would just turn over my water quicker. They indicated that the 1.5 and the 1 hp motors were sized appropriately for the filter. We live in the north so the amount of electricity to run the 1.5 vs 1 won't be a big deal. I would hope that Hayward wouldn't built a filter/pump combo system that wouldn't be comparable. If anyone has the Hayward EC50C93S and could give testimony it would be appreciated.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.