Light replacement

Sorry for not explaining. The Savi Melody and its cable are all one single unit with no replaceable parts. It fits in a standard return fitting. So through the pool wall I have 1-1/2" PVC pipe that transitions to electrical conduit after a few feet. I need to pull the light body and cable out and pull a new one through.[attachment=0:1q90sf16]savi.jpg[/attachment:1q90sf16]

Attachments

• savi.jpg
    savi.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 260
If everything was installed correctly there should be a junction box somewhere not too far from the light where the other end of the cable is connected to the power wire coming from the switch/automation system. You will need to connect a string to the existing cable, pull the cable out, attach the new cable to the string, pull the string through and connect the new cable back to the power wire in the junction box. All of this can be done with water in the pool as long as the power is off.

Wow.
Why may I ask do you have to change the light? there supposed to last over five years.

I have one in the box in front of me and it says that the wire is not to be cut and must run right up to the 12v transformer(in the pool house). There's no niche, there's a retaining ring that holds it into the 1.5 return type fitting. This ring needs either the proper Nexxus key or a pair of needle nose pliers to turn it.

I would think that if you didn't lower the water level the pipe would fill up with water when you pull the old one out and make for a tough time getting the new one in.

Good luck

Jason - Thanks. I've got a nylon fish tape so can easily get the light in. I just wanted to know if I should try to keep the conduit dry, or if flooding was OK. I'm not even sure the electrician glued the fittings together - espeically where it necks down from PVC to the grey conduit.

Brownsburg - Letting water into conduit is not going make it more difficult to fish the wire. If anything, it might make it easier by lubricating the cable. But that's not a concern because I've already fished one through the longest run which is my spa - for that, I drained it into the pool. I did not buy their special tool as I have a spanner wrench.

I've now had 4 of these Savi Melody lights flood. The first one was just a couple weeks after the build in the spa, and the PB was able to get me a new one, which I replaced. Now, that one plus the 2 in the pool have flooded. The company sent me 3 new ones. These are a different design than the older model. Instead of the electronics in a separate housing, everything is in a single housing. Google Savi Melody images and you'll see the old style. Anyway, I still was not confident in their connector where the cable goes into the housing, so I've potted the ends with industrial 2 part epoxy which I use routinely at work. So hopefully, none of these will flood.

By the way, 2 still work while partially flooded. When the one started going crazy, I jumped in with a mask and saw it had water. Checked the others and they did too.

I'll post photos when I've pulled them.

I'd love to know where they leak from once you've pulled it. I have one to put in and don't plan on replacing it every few years.
I think that I'm going to run a full 1.5" conduit so that I can pull it if it dies and put in a return or a vacuum line.

Can't wait to see photos.

I don't know if the conduit is ever dry. My conduit is run to a place near the equipment and then brought up a couple feet above water level. The PB made it sound like the conduit could be full of water all the time, just like the air intake for my spa.

I didn't see them install the Jandy LEDs, so I don't know if they have a rubber gasket on the back of the light assembly or not.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
brownsburg said:
I'd love to know where they leak from once you've pulled it. I have one to put in and don't plan on replacing it every few years.
I think that I'm going to run a full 1.5" conduit so that I can pull it if it dies and put in a return or a vacuum line.

Can't wait to see photos.

That is a great idea to run 1.5" all the way.

All I can say right now is that the light housing is flooded, but I don't know about the electronics housing yet. At first I suspected improper installation - that the PB cracked them during installation. If you knew my PB, having all 3 cracked would not be unusual. So I was very careful when I installed the replacement in the spa - but now it is leaking. So the only place it could be is the connector at the back, which did not look all that water tight to me, which is why I potted the entire connector and a few inches of cable. In the least, I'd caulk the heck out of that area and then wrap it with rubber tape.

I'll take one apart and add some pressure to the connector end to see if there are any cracks in the housing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.