Can't keep FC levels up

Feb 9, 2011
Central Texas
Hi All,

New pool owner here. I have been trying to get my pool balanced for about a month now. The issue is that I can't keep FC in the pool. So, I shock, it falls to .5 - 0 in about 3 - 4 days and I shock again. For a while I was using liquid bleach to keep it in there, but really had rather use the tablet feeder (I know, I know, I am just lazy). I have the feeder pegged to 5 and am turning the pool close to 2X per day. We have had a lot of pollen lately, so it just might be the high load.

Here are my latest tests (after shocking the pool two days prior)

FC - 4
CC - 0
PH - 7.8
TA - 110
CH - 200
CYA - 35

So, I shock, it falls to .5 - 0 in about 3 - 4 days and I shock again.
good morning! You are not shocking the pool correctly. Pool School has an article that will walk you through the process......it is a process, not a one-time event.

ONLY two things consume chlorine......sunlight (your CYA is a little low, I suggest 50ppm) and organics (algae) in your pool. I'm betting you have some algae you are not completely killing off. Shocking properly will do so.

OK, went by HD and got 12 182 oz bottles of chlorox. Just dumped in 596 oz to bring it up to the recommended 14 ppm. I will wait a bit to test and monitor throughout the afternoon. I will do the overnight test tonight as well. I suspect that with all the pollen, there is a high load on the pool and this should take care of it. The oak drop is over here so hopefully this will get me to square one.

Don't be surprised if it doesn't. You may need to hold it at shock for a while. In fact you should go test it now to see what the FC level still is.

When you first start shocking you should test FC as often as once an hour. The more consistantly you maintain shock level the faster it goes. If you test it now and it's stil at shock level, that's a good thing.

Good work!!

I would suggest delaying the OFCLT test until probably tomorrow evening. Chances are it will take a little while to kill everything in the pool and it would probably be a little premature to assume everything has been killed by this evening.

However, I like your optimism!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK, After checking and adjusting every hour, the rate of consumption has been reduced. We had a bright sunny day today with highs in the mid 90s. I assume that some of the consumption was due to sunlight. I had to run an errand at 5:00 so left it till 8:00. Test showed that it droped ~ 1 ppm. I topped it off to 14 and will see what I have in the morning.

Man, how does one do this if they have to work? I happened to be at home this afternoon for a scheduled carpet cleaning.

Yes, dealing with an out-of-balance pool can be quite time consuming and aggravating. However, you are now armed with the correct test kit and knowledge to prevent further problems.

By testing and understanding, you will be able to detect impending problems and take corrective action immediately.

As long as you follow good procedures, you should have a Trouble Free Pool.

If you have to go to work just bump the FC a few ppm above shock just before you leave and test again as soon as you can. You may lose some ground but you'll gain it back pretty quickly.

Of course if you don't lose any FC overnight and the CC is less than .5 ppm you're done shocking and you can just let it drift down during the day.

About to check it for the night. Never had any CC present. Just can't get the tabs to keep up the FC levels. Assume it is the sun and pollen. Probably need to get the CYA up a bit more for my area. We get lots of intense sun. Thought I would let the tabs do the work, but might have to add more stabilizer to get it up.

>> how does one do this if they have to work?

one way is by using a SWCG
1orime.gif

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.