Poor Return Circulation

ctm14

Apr 17, 2011
Hello,

I did some searching because our pool which is 3 years old has never done a good job skimming the surface clean. The pool is a rectangle 15x30 with a sunken square spa 7x7 in one corner and a beach shelf next to the square spa essentially leaving a large rectangle 15 x 23 along with the shallow kids play area 8x7. I live on the coast in San Diego and we have steady winds west to east. Of course the pool builder located the skimmer in the south west corner of the pool opposite where the wind pushes the water.

I was excited to read about the pool skim and pool devil last night so went out today to see where the returns were located. I have a return located in the spa as well as one on the beach shelf shooting the length of the pool and another at the far end across from the skimmer. I can see the goal was to create a cyclonic pattern with the second return pushing water to the skimmer. Unfortunately I checked this second return and noticed zero water returning from this opening but plenty flowing from the one at the end far from the skimmer. I also noticed the returns are not threaded but just flush cut pipe. Can anyone think of any reason why one of the returns would not be flowing any water. This has me very concerned that the builder just simply forgot to plumb it and I will now be stuck with no way to fix the error. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Great site thanks,
Chris

Can you post a pic of the equipment?
That will help us figure out if there's a way to help you.
It could be that the return piping is plugged and can be cleared or it could be that a valve is simply turned off.

Welcome to TFP!

I think the first thing I'd try is having someone hold their hand over a working return while you check to see if the flow increases on the inoperative one.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.