Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Are solar blankets worth the trouble?

1. Back To Top    #1

Are solar blankets worth the trouble?

Our air temps are still very conducive to swimming, but the pool is starting to get pretty cool, and I'm wondering if the solar blankets do very much to warm the water. If they do, is it too much of a hassle to take them on and off?
    28K IG, stonescapes pebble, raised spa, hayward heater, Pentair Intelliflo, Pentair 60ft DE filter, built around 1980, remodeled 2007.

2. Back To Top    #2
    No, they don't do much to warm the water, but they do a lot to keep it from cooling off overnight. If you have a reel, taking them on and off isn't a big deal.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3
    I just bought a cover with the expectations that I will get at least a 6 degree temp difference. This number is based on a report I saw for my local area plus the claims from the manufacture that I can see 8-12 degree diff. My neighbor has had a 4 degree advantage over my pool because he heats his spa and later dumps the water into his pool, thus the warmer water than mine. SInce I've had the cover ( 1 week) my temp is 4 degree above his now. Mind you it only has been 1 week but for me it has been promising.

As far as taking them on/off, I did not purchase a reel and for my 20x40 pool and it takes me 15 minutes to put it on and 20 min to take off and I just ordered a reel. I will report back after my reel comes in, but a couple of people made the comment that once they got a reel they will never go back to manual.
    20x40 24,000 gal IG plaster/CircuPool RJ45 SWG/2 skimmer/2sp 2.5hp Jandy Stealth/340sq ft cart filter/600sqftHeliocol Solar Panels/6ft semi circlr tanning ledge/25ft deep end bench/5ft sheer descent/2 lion head water features/1300sqft travertine paver/2 Colorlogic lights/Hayward Navigator/3step 2ft raised bond beam

4. Back To Top    #4

And don't forget that there are other advantages to using a cover besides retaining heat. It also cuts down loss from evaporation so you need less fill water and this adds less TA and CH to the pool that would come from that fill water. It also cuts down the outgassing of carbon dioxide so the pH will be more stable (if using pH neutral chlorine sources when accounting for chlorine usage -- i.e. the hypochlorite sources of bleach, chlorinating liquid, Cal-Hypo and lithium hypochlorite). It will also cut down the outgassing of chlorine (hypochlorous acid) and its breakdown from sunlight, if the cover is at least partially opaque to UV from the sun. So chlorine usage should be substantially reduced.

Richard
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

5. Back To Top    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by JCJR
    As far as taking them on/off, I did not purchase a reel and for my 20x40 pool and it takes me 15 minutes to put it on and 20 min to take off and I just ordered a reel. I will report back after my reel comes in, but a couple of people made the comment that once they got a reel they will never go back to manual.
    With a reel it takes me 2 minutes to take it off and the same to put it on.

6. Back To Top    #6

Has anyone used this product? Thoughts?

http://solar-factory.com/
    20k Gunite/Prism Blue-Pebblesheen, Pentair Tagelus TA-100D Sand Filter, Heliocol Solar Water Heater, 2 bubblers and 2 waterfalls installed 2007, 3hp IntelliFlo VS Pump 011018 installed 2013, Aquabot Turbo T4 RC and Stenner 45MHP10 w/The Liquidator container installed 2012.
    Antigua Spa by Artesian Spas: 325 gl, 52 jets, 6 hp 2 sp & 6 hp 1 sp, Circulation System 24 Hour Whisper Pure, Ozonator, LED digital lighting, The Artesian Pillowfall installed 2007.
    Retired: 2hp Pentair Whisperflow, Legend Platinum w/booster pump, PH Adjuster

7. Back To Top    #7
    I always use a solar cover and I do think it makes a beneficial difference.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

8. Back To Top    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabot
    Has anyone used this product? Thoughts?

http://solar-factory.com/
    Have not used that product but from the size of my cover, I don;t think it will work. My cover weighs 41 lbs with out water on it. By the looks of the picture, that pool looks like a 12x24 and using a thin cover. But these are just speculations.
    20x40 24,000 gal IG plaster/CircuPool RJ45 SWG/2 skimmer/2sp 2.5hp Jandy Stealth/340sq ft cart filter/600sqftHeliocol Solar Panels/6ft semi circlr tanning ledge/25ft deep end bench/5ft sheer descent/2 lion head water features/1300sqft travertine paver/2 Colorlogic lights/Hayward Navigator/3step 2ft raised bond beam

9. Back To Top    #9

I am researching solar covers and reels... Anyone have suggestions where I can look and or products that you have or have used?
    20k Gunite/Prism Blue-Pebblesheen, Pentair Tagelus TA-100D Sand Filter, Heliocol Solar Water Heater, 2 bubblers and 2 waterfalls installed 2007, 3hp IntelliFlo VS Pump 011018 installed 2013, Aquabot Turbo T4 RC and Stenner 45MHP10 w/The Liquidator container installed 2012.
    Antigua Spa by Artesian Spas: 325 gl, 52 jets, 6 hp 2 sp & 6 hp 1 sp, Circulation System 24 Hour Whisper Pure, Ozonator, LED digital lighting, The Artesian Pillowfall installed 2007.
    Retired: 2hp Pentair Whisperflow, Legend Platinum w/booster pump, PH Adjuster

10. Back To Top    #10
    Greetings--

We've been happy with our solar cover (20x40). It extends our swimming season a couple of months or so.
    - Reji