CYA Tests are they all the same???

Bama Rambler said:
The stick tests are very inaccurate. The black dot test is much better even as hard as it is to do.
If you meant test strips, yes. I think Bowlin was referring to a view tube where you pour in the whole mixture, and the black dot is on a slider that you move up and down. I've not used one of those but offhand I'd guess they work about as well as the kind where you add mixture until the dot on the bottom disappears. They might even be easier to use; certainly easier to rerun the test if the dot's on a slider.
--paulr

If you're talking about this one:

BlueDevilCYATestKit.jpg

it's the Blue Devil CYA Test Kit from Valterra Products. I have it saved on my Amazon.com wishlist priced at $19.99 selling from Discount Pool Mart, but they want $9.49 shipping. For some reason I can't seem to pull it up in a search today on Amazon. You might be able to order it from your local pool store for about $25-$30 as well, or maybe find it cheaper elsewhere online.

The Porpoise CYA Test Kit looks very similar and sells for only $11.99

PorpoiseCYATestKit.jpg

I used the Blue Devil tester at my local Leslie's and I find it much easier to read accurately than the one that came with the Taylor K2006 kit.

I've got one on order, should be in next week.

Hope this helps,

Gary

The CYA tests with the slider are a little easier to use. The tube is larger and you can fiddle with the slider up and down very easily to get a more exact reading without re-pouring. However, that style does use dramatically more reagent each time. Taylor also makes one in that style.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.