Pool quote: sand filter size

ABQ_Pool

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 31, 2011
Chandler, AZ
Hello -
I've been quoted a Pentair 30" Tagelus sand filter for my pool build. Reading up on TFP, I know that it'd be best to have an oversized filter and wanted to make sure that this fits the bill.

The specifics for my PB at this time:
18x32 rectangular sport pool (3.5 - 6 - 4) with auto cover, approx. 20k gallons
2" throughout (2 skimmers, 2 drains, 1 dedicated line, 4 returns)
Pentair Whisperflo 1.5hp (I'm requesting a quote on a Pentair IntelliFlo)
SWG - Pentair Intellichlor
Heater Rheem
Autocover

Thanks for your help!

Also - I've been told that it would be good to ask for unions to be installed between all the equipment for future issues (easy removal, replacement, troubleshooting) - is this generally recommended from TFP?

I'm not against unions, but I don't find them worth the trouble/expense. PVC is easy to work with, just cut it and then glue it up again. So I reserve unions for something that gets opened up at least once a year, which isn't all that much.

Yes that is a nice large filter.

If you don't get an {EDIT}IntelliFlo{/EDIT}, think about getting a two speed pump.

I am pro-union on PVC pipe if it is run through concrete, there is only so many times you can cut and splice it over the years before you find yourself at the point where you need a jack hammer to get to bare pipe to splice.

Ike

So I will be fine running my IC40 on low speed then? I know the min flow is 25 gpm but wasn't sure what low speed on the 1hp wfds4 would get me. Everything will be 2".

I don't want to buy the 2 spd pump and not be able to use low speed. Please confirm.

Thanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.