How to bypass Heater

May 19, 2010
Hello -- I have done a few stain tests on some widespread spotting I have, and it looks like Jack's Magic #2 stain solution is exactly what I need to take care of the problem. The issue is the instructions say to make sure to isolate your heater from circulation -- I'm not sure how to do that.

I have a Pentair Minimax NT that sits in my return line just before my SWG and there is no bypass valve anywhere that I can find in my plumbing near there. My heater is rigged to only fire when I have the spa going, but as far as I know it still circulates when the pump is on, as I get the water temp readout on the control panel of the heater any time the pool is circulating.

Is there some hidden bypass inside the MiniMax that I should use? Or is this a no-go? I have only had this home/pool for about a year and a half and I've already had several probs with that MiniMax -- I don't want to anger it anymore!

Thanks for the help!

Having a heater bypass is rare. It would be fairly obvious, usually a pipe bridging the input and output to the heater with a total of three valves, one on the input to the heater, one on the output, and a third on the pipe that bridges between them.

Unless you have a bypass, or are going to add some new plumbing to create a heater bypass, you should not use Jacks Magic #2.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.