Heater Water Connection

BrianC

Mar 4, 2011
Hi,

I have a new pool being installed with a 1 1/2 HP Hayward pump. I am installing a Hayward HP21104T heat pump myself. My understanding is that the heater belongs after the chlorinator return to the pool. Should the heater be directly after the chlorinator so that the heater feeds the two returns to the pool and the waterfall or is choosing the furthest return into the pool from the skimmer box okay. If I should feed all returns in the pool with heated water then additional piping alterations will need to be done because the tee that splits the returns is connected directly to the chlorinator so there is no room to cut in the heater at that location without modifying all return lines to the pool.

Any advice is appreciated. :hammer:

Thanks,
Brian

BrianC said:
My understanding is that the heater belongs after the chlorinator return to the pool.

Thats backwards. The heater goes before the chlorinator, not after. Also, a check valave should be put between the heater and the chlorinator to keep high concentrations of chlorine from backing iinto the heater.

All returns should carry heated water to the pool, not just one.

Yes that would seem to make sense. You would not want the concentrated chlorine to travel though the heat pump so I had it backwards.

Found this pic online that seems like the correct configuration.
Thanks!

poolplumb.gif

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.