Clogged heater?

Nov 23, 2007
Is it possible for a pool heater to be partially clogged? I was just cleaning my filters and decided to put the hose in inlet of the heater. Most of the water comes back out, with some coming out the heater drain that I opened, and some coming out the outlet. If I try to put my hand over the heater inlet with the hose in it, it seems there's back pressure going through the heater. Is that normal, or should the water freely flow through the heater?

I was just wondering if heaters get clogged and need routine maintenance. I took off the water pipes going in and out, but am looking at the manifold cover wondering if I should take that off. From the manual, it looks like lots of stuff and gaskets underneath so I probably won't touch it for now.

I have a Starite heater, SR400NA, salt pool, pentair ccp320 cartridge filter, new 2-speed 2hp pump. Everything but the pump is about 6 years old.

Thanks, Robert

Heaters can get clogged, though that is fairly unusual.

The thing to keep in mind is that the inside of a heater is fairly complex, with lots of small passages for water to pass through so that the maximum amount of heat gets transferred. That will necessarily create some back pressure when you try to run water through with a garden hose. Most likely everything is just fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.