My pool build - a nightmare so far.

merl

Mar 8, 2011
I have no idea why the company I am using is in such a hurry but so far these are the issues we are facing ( and those we have encountered)
Signed the contract and told them the day I would have my tree guys out to cut down 3 trees. So the pool company comes and sprays the outline a day BEFORE my tree guys are coming. SO - they have to respray the design. WASTED TIME and Effort.

They cant seem to spray the outline properly, they do the day of the dig, litterally the diggers are waiting while they rush to paint the outline.
I was supposed to have my spinkler system capped before we dug. NOPE no capping, just mowed over everything.

GUNITE - they came out and did the gunite, but there were two problems, one they had to dig out the wall of the hot tub because the steel was sticking out of the dam wall, they filled it in as I watched. Next there is a corner that colapsed TWICE, the second time I saw them fill it in with sand and they did not bother to blow more gunite, they just used scrappings from the floor of the pool. This area 5 days later remains much darker after watering and is not smooth and looks chunky. I know I will have a problem here.

Today SUNDAY, a crew shows up to start laying out the plumbing, however I have a HUGE drainage issue, I told them before I started that the drainage issue is HUGE, so these guys are laying pumbing pipe where a drainage pipe needs to go, and the drainage run is going to be a long one and because of the elevation of my yard the drain pipe will need to be at a pretty good slope, but now there is pumbing pipe exactly where we will need drain pipe. This is unbelievable. I mean they might have to undu all the pipe they have laid and cut it and patch it ( much like they did in my hot tub because they used the wrong pipe in the hot tube and had to come out and cut the pvc and use the right pipe, they even re used the old connectors. I watched the guy dig out pvs from his cuts, it is now all in gunite but I know I will have a leak inside my spa. No way the job he did will hold water.)

I keep telling these fools that they need to slow down, were not in any hurry we want it right. The owner is going to be here tomorrow.

Does anyone know a sure fire way to test gunite? I know that corner is messed up.

Anyone know why they would lay plumbing KNOWING that drainage is going to have to go under the plumbing pipe?

This is the craziest bunch I have ever seen, they are going 100 mph and they just dont seem to talk to each other .

I will update my note here as we go.

I will post my pictures soon, I failed to get pictures of the corner when it had collapsed, and I failed to get a picture of them digging out the Dang wall and beating the rebar back with a sledge hammer. I did take pictures of the plumbing. And yes I have asked them a few times to meet and that never happens. Maybe I can talk to them tomorrow when they pick up the gunite check. So far I would give them a C for construction, F for communication. I will say that other than the gunite guys, there crews have worked really hard, but sometimes it is better to work smarter not harder and all these folks are doing is creating more work for themselves.

The owner is going to be here tomorrow.

The owner of the pool company?

Be careful with the payment schedule, in California it is very easy for a contractor to put a Mechanic's Lien against your house.

We had a Steel and Plumbing Inspection (Country INspector) before the Gunite shoot. Any problems or issues with the Spa or clearance to shoot the Gunite should have been discovered well before the Concrete Truck arrived.

I would stop all work on the project and schedule a meeting to get everything figured out before moving forward.

Here are some pictures
bad_wall2.jpg

good_wall.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So now we are "fighting" over the coping. It is PINK, will post pictures soon. We wanted flagstone that is not in anyway PINK, I have a backyard full of cut pink coping, and it looks like Crud. It was supposed to be buckskin which has no pink. The owner came out today and they were supposed to bring some more flagstone and remove the pink and replace, nope he shows up and they just move it around. It is a total joke, it does not match the stacked rock of the spa and we are beside ourselves. This is unbelievable.

Also, I noted that the drain for the overflow is cut into the tile at an angle, it isnt even horizontal. The wife pointed it out to the guy and he said it looks fine.. I'll post pic.

BRICK, well we decided to go with brick coping, I dont like it at all but it is the best we can come up with I guess. I can't believe that we went to the PB's store front picked out a flagstone which was not pink, we told the guys who delivered and started cutting it, that it was pink, told the sales person it was pink, told the owner it was pink and somehow we feel like the bad guys. I hate that the guys had to cut all this PINK flagstone. I really dont want to go here but I think if at least one guy on the job site spoke english we might have been able to prevent this but I really dont know. We told the guys as many times as we could, no rjo (sp) they smiled and kept cutting. The sales person got on the phone with the site foreman, who happened to be here and told him I assume, but it just kept going. We also told the owner, who as I have mentioned was to come here with substitute flagstone, but that didnt happen. My wife it totally freaked out, she is worried that they are now going to somehow "mess" up the pool. They are going to have to sledgehammer out a ton of pink flagstone.

I think brick coping will look really nice in that pool. I'm sorry you're having to deal with all this garbage!

The overflow drain looks a little bit tilted, but you're never going to stick your head in the skimmer opening and stare at it. Well, at least I wouldn't :-D Using rebound (scraps from the floor) isn't ideal, but I don't think it will be a stability issue. It's common. Most pool building offer a lifetime warranty on the shell integrity at least.........so theoretically you're covered. Did you/they get the drainage issue figured out?

Looking forward to seeing more pictures! How bout the pool as a whole?

merl-We must be related. The tale of your pool build is all to familiar at my house. I have decided that you have to be a total Rear to get the job done right. Any time I have someone quote a job for me now I tell them to factor in that I am an SOB to work for. I say document/document/document. It may not hurt to nut up a couple of times as well. Hope everything gets going better for you soon.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.