easy set pool - any suggestions?

Sep 20, 2007
Hi, I'm new here. I have a 12 x 36 round easy set pool my nephew gave me for my two little ones. (3 yrs. and 2 yrs.) After finally getting it to hold it's shape and water, I now am clueless on how to keep it clean. I have the pump it came with but to be honest, I don't think it's very good. I also have the garden hose vac but again, not too sure if it's doing what it's supposed to or I am not using it correctly. It seemed like stuff would go right through the bag so I attatched a flexible tube to it to try to remove smaller debris. I have a test kit that said 5 in one but I don't see anything on it about cya. I've had problems with algae, I had one of those beginner kits with the test strips and apparently wrong water volumn information which of course means I was putting too little chemicals in it. but it seems to be under control (sort of) -that is until we get a couple days of rain and then it's green again. Could you recommend some useful tools and or tips for me? Mind you, I am a mom of 2 toddlers with a small budget and they keep me very busy. Thanks for your help. If it helps at all, I live in Central Florida.

Welcome to TFP!

You might want to do some reading in The Stickies section of this site. See the link in the sub-heading of each page. There is lots of information there, take a little at a time as you feel comfortable with it.

You need a fairly good test kit and a little attention each day to keep the water clear and safe. You could start with an HTH 6 way test kit from WalMart for about $20, or much better the full TF Test Kit, see the link in my signature.

The key to keeping algae away is knowing you CYA level and keeping the chlorine level where it needs to be for that CYA level.

Good Luck!

peanutsmom said:
Hi, I'm new here. I have a 12 x 36 round easy set pool my nephew gave me for my two little ones. (3 yrs. and 2 yrs.) After finally getting it to hold it's shape and water, I now am clueless on how to keep it clean. I have the pump it came with but to be honest, I don't think it's very good. I also have the garden hose vac but again, not too sure if it's doing what it's supposed to or I am not using it correctly. It seemed like stuff would go right through the bag so I attatched a flexible tube to it to try to remove smaller debris. I have a test kit that said 5 in one but I don't see anything on it about cya. I've had problems with algae, I had one of those beginner kits with the test strips and apparently wrong water volumn information which of course means I was putting too little chemicals in it. but it seems to be under control (sort of) -that is until we get a couple days of rain and then it's green again. Could you recommend some useful tools and or tips for me? Mind you, I am a mom of 2 toddlers with a small budget and they keep me very busy. Thanks for your help. If it helps at all, I live in Central Florida.

Had one for five years...and just upgraded to a real pool...These are great...be prepared to drain and refill if you ever shut the filter pump off for more than a few days...Always clean or replace the filter every couple of days...Keep the free Chlorine up to recommended levels...and invest in a good vacuume head and hose that will fit on the filter nozzle inside the pool...that is great for the debris on the bottom...If you get a slime on the bottom...You might as well just drain it clean it and then re fill it. I have tried everything that people talk about here...the problem is that much of the algae that forms in the pool starts on the underside of the the big top ring and once that happens if you don't get that all out it just keeps on growing. They are great for little kids but they are a lot of work...The filter pumps are not big enough to turn the pool over and clean the water perpetually which I think is what it takes...They are great for maintaining a pool, but not for cleaning it up when you have an algae growth. Good luck

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.