Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool in Ohio, too late to add salt?

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool in Ohio, too late to add salt?

I posted a similar question a month ago about deciding if I should buy a heater and SWG system now or wait till spring. I figured I might as well buy it now, as waiting did nothing for me from a warranty perspective. I have bought a Jandy 2500 series heater, and an Autopilot Dig-60 SWG. My question is now, if I dump in the 600-800 lbs of salt I need to get started, will that money be thrown away, or will the waters salt PPM stay pretty stable over the winter? I figured I could just add clorine for the next few weeks as needed (Pool liner was just dropped in today, and they will be dying to swim this weekend!)

And since I am posting, what is the best and cheapest salt to dump in again? I will search the forum, but if someone that knows responds before I can search, I appreciate the help!

--Chuck
    16X24X40 Grecian L Vinyl Pool - Dig 9/4/2007 and first swim 9/21/2007
    Located in Ohio Approx 27K gallons
    Pentair Whisperflow 1 HP 2-speed Pump
    Hayward Sand Filter Jandy AE2500 Heat Pump
    Autopilot Dig-220 w/sc-60 cell

2. Back To Top    #2
    Get Morton solar salt from Lowe's or Walmart. You will lose some salt over the winter unless you have a solid cover to keep from adding rainwater to the pool.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

If you're losing water through spill out, you're going to lose salt too. Normal evaporation of water does not lose salt. You can add it now AND run your PoolPilot, as the Pool Pilot does not have a low temperature cut off. However, under cold water conditions, the output % will be limited due to the Automatic Temperature Compensation feature.

Thanks for selecting the Pool Pilot system for your pool!

Sean
    Sean Assam - Sean@teamhorner.com
    National Accounts and Commercial Products Manager
    AquaCal Heat Pumps www.aquacal.com
    AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generators www.autopilot.com

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks JohnT and PoolSean, both questions answered.

PoolSean, you and this forum IS the reason I purchased the Autopilot! I greatly value users of products input, I don't think there is a better way to buy anything!

--Chuck
    16X24X40 Grecian L Vinyl Pool - Dig 9/4/2007 and first swim 9/21/2007
    Located in Ohio Approx 27K gallons
    Pentair Whisperflow 1 HP 2-speed Pump
    Hayward Sand Filter Jandy AE2500 Heat Pump
    Autopilot Dig-220 w/sc-60 cell

5. Back To Top    #5

Do You need Salt??

Quote Originally Posted by chuck1971
    Thanks JohnT and PoolSean, both questions answered.

PoolSean, you and this forum IS the reason I purchased the Autopilot! I greatly value users of products input, I don't think there is a better way to buy anything!

--Chuck
    Chuck-make sure you sample your present salt content BEFORE adding any salt. Any pool store can do it for free or you can buy a kit for $20.00. Bottome line, I just installed in Aug an Autopilot and sampled my water (was using chlorox and TRI tabs), and found my water to already be at 1400ppm salt before adding any salt. As a result, I only had to add 300# of salt vice the 700# reccommended by the owners manual. After the add, I had 3000ppm by my test klit and also the Autopilot
    Don SW Florida
    10,000 gal in ground concrete pool
    Pentair Cartridge filter, Pentair SWG, Pentair Intelliflow VS pump (11018)
    FAFCO solar panels w/Pentair SolarTouch controller
    using BBB for pool chemistry/Lamotte ColorQ tester for daily testing

6. Back To Top    #6
    Ditto what Don said... I assumed my salt would be zero since I never added any. I calculated I would need 5 bags of salt for my pool to get 2500ppm. Decided to test after adding 3 bags and I had overshot my goal by 700ppm so the pool must have had some salinity already.
    Sue

18' round Sharkline Matrix AGP / 8600 Gal. / sand filter / Aqua Trol SWG
    Pool owner since 2001. Thanks to TFP for helping me convert off Baquacil after six years!