Almost filled it in!?&%#!

Apr 16, 2011
Ozarks
We purchased a home last year (in Missouri) with a gunite, in-ground 15x30 ft pool, 4 ft on both ends and sloping to 6 feet in the middle. Because the home was a repo, the pool water was dark sludgy green, with bullfrogs living in it! Never having owned an in-ground pool, I was hesitant to spend the time and $$ to get it up and running.

Well....we drained the pool, spent a lot of time pressure washing the oxidized peeling paint off . (Apparantely, previous owners had painted the pool and filled it before it had time to cure). I didn't know if I should re-paint, but after peeking on this and other forums, I decided against repainting. So now, I have a light blue/white surface.

Previous owners also took the pump and filter system when they moved, but we found a 1.5 HP pump with a sand filter system on Craigslist for $300.

I have a lot of learning to do, being the rookie pool owner, but I did manage to keep the pipes from freezing over the winter and also kept most of the frogs out of it (although I'll find some baby frogs in the skimmer from time to time.)

Long story short, we enjoyed the pool immensely last summer and are looking forward to this season! Thanks for the forum, and hopefully I'll have something of interest to share from time to time!! :cheers: