CH and TA testing question

phalcon51

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 5, 2010
So. California
I'm having some trouble figuring out how many drops to use to get an accurate reading on my TA test. The sample first turns and stays red at 7 drops but one additional drop makes it a more definite red. Additional drops beyond 8 don't make any noticeable difference. Should I read the TA as 70 or 80?

TAtest7drops.jpg

TAtest8drops.jpg

Also, on the CH test the sample changes from very pale pinkish red to pale purplish blue at 30 drops with no additional color change at 31 drops. Is this as blue as it should get?

CHtest0drops.jpg

CHtest30drops.jpg

Thanks again for the help, TFP is the best!

Gary

I'd call it 75 ppm for the TA, but you're always going to be +/- 10 ppm anyway, so it's not too critical to get the exact number.

Once the calcium test gives you the definite color change without any further change upon adding additional drops, then that's the number.

According to Taylor's instructions, your TA result is 80. Count all drops until the last one makes no difference, then subtract the last on (that didn't make a difference) from you total.

It's really not that critical but that's how Taylor designed the tests.

It looks like you may be getting a little interference on the CH test (but it is still valid). Do the drop count exactly as the TA test.....i.e. your CH is 300.

It's hard to tell, but I think I get a bluer endpoint on the CH test. You could try doing the interference thing (start with 10 drops R-0012 before doing the R-0010 and R-0011, and those first 10 drops count in your total).
--paulr

The exact color doesn't matter, as long as it is some shade of the named color, and doesn't change when you add another drop, it is fine. Various things in the water can change the appearance of the color slightly, so it won't always be the same from pool to pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.