How much Evaportation is normal in Houston Texas

How much evaporation should you have in inched in a pool on a hot day say 93 degrees. My pool is 11 x 28 foot and we seem to loose on a sunny day 1/2 inch per hot day. My builder says it is evaporating I am going to try the bucket test tomorrow. But I was wondering how much is normal?

if you have a new pool, i hear its recommended to leave your autofil off for a few weeks to make sure you don't have any leaks (otherwise, you may very well not know you have one...)

and its not unusual for a new pool to have a leak or two..

an inch a day seems pretty high...

i'm in south louisiana, and i haven't measured but i'd guess about 1/4" a day of evaporation...

My pool loses about 1-1.5 inches a week in Sunny Miami. My neighbors pool is smaller (17x34) and he seems to lose a little bit more per week than my pool. This Summer the rain has averaged about 1 inch per week so I've only had to add water twice this whole Summer.

This link can help you calculate an annual evaporation rate -- and you can figure most of this is during the summer in most locations. I forget who first directed me to this link, but whomever it was -- thank you...it's a great site for calculating evaporation. [EDIT] Now I remember -- it's Mark (mas985) -- who first referred to that site on The Pool Forum. Thanks again. [END-EDIT]

Your welcome.

I found that for at least my pool, summer was double the average daily rate. For my area, 60 inches per year of evaporation (.164"/day) and I measured in the heat of the summer I was losing 3/8" per day or about twice the daily average.

wow...

according to that calculator, my 18,000 gallon pool will evaporate about 24,000 gallons in a year.

makes sense... at about 1/4" a day... but never thougth about losing all of my water in a year...

interesting indeed....

not to mention the varying rates at relatively close geographies...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What did you find with this device?
I am in Birmingham AL and I am loosing about a 1/2 inch a day now. It has been so dry here and no rain, but this seems a lot to me so i am trying the bucket method. Just hope the neighborhood cats don't drink too much!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.