Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How much Evaportation is normal in Houston Texas

1. Back To Top    #1

How much Evaportation is normal in Houston Texas

How much evaporation should you have in inched in a pool on a hot day say 93 degrees. My pool is 11 x 28 foot and we seem to loose on a sunny day 1/2 inch per hot day. My builder says it is evaporating I am going to try the bucket test tomorrow. But I was wondering how much is normal?
    i'VE FALLEN IN AND i DON'T WANT TO GET OUT.

2. Back To Top    #2
    seems like a lot. Does it get full sun all day. A half inch to an inch seems right for me for a week. It's rained so much I haven't had to worry about adding much water this summer.
    Brian
    20K IG Gunite w/ raised 7ft spillover spa. 1.5 HP Hayward Northstar pump 425 sq ft Hayward cartridge filter, Colorlogic lights AquaRite SWG AquaLogic PS-8 control
    1hp pump for sheer descent

3. Back To Top    #3
    my buddy looses 1 inch every two days out in Katy. His auto fill is broken and he is having to hose fill it.
    Jay
    36' x19' Freeform, 16' waterfall w/ groto and slide, 5' x 10' sundeck, 12" raised spa. Pentair IntelliTouch, Pentair IntelliFlo 4 x 160, Master Temp 400, IntelliChlor Chlorine generator, Aqua Blue PebbleSheen

4. Back To Top    #4

if you have a new pool, i hear its recommended to leave your autofil off for a few weeks to make sure you don't have any leaks (otherwise, you may very well not know you have one...)

and its not unusual for a new pool to have a leak or two..

an inch a day seems pretty high...

i'm in south louisiana, and i haven't measured but i'd guess about 1/4" a day of evaporation...
    18,000 gallon gunite free form, with spa, 4x160, EasyTouch, SWCG, Pentair cartr filter, Colorlogic lights.

5. Back To Top    #5
    My pool loses about 1-1.5 inches a week in Sunny Miami. My neighbors pool is smaller (17x34) and he seems to lose a little bit more per week than my pool. This Summer the rain has averaged about 1 inch per week so I've only had to add water twice this whole Summer.
    20x40 24,000 gal IG plaster/CircuPool RJ45 SWG/2 skimmer/2sp 2.5hp Jandy Stealth/340sq ft cart filter/600sqftHeliocol Solar Panels/6ft semi circlr tanning ledge/25ft deep end bench/5ft sheer descent/2 lion head water features/1300sqft travertine paver/2 Colorlogic lights/Hayward Navigator/3step 2ft raised bond beam

6. Back To Top    #6

This link can help you calculate an annual evaporation rate -- and you can figure most of this is during the summer in most locations. I forget who first directed me to this link, but whomever it was -- thank you...it's a great site for calculating evaporation. [EDIT] Now I remember -- it's Mark (mas985) -- who first referred to that site on The Pool Forum. Thanks again. [END-EDIT]
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

7. Back To Top    #7
    Your welcome.

I found that for at least my pool, summer was double the average daily rate. For my area, 60 inches per year of evaporation (.164"/day) and I measured in the heat of the summer I was losing 3/8" per day or about twice the daily average.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner

8. Back To Top    #8

wow...

according to that calculator, my 18,000 gallon pool will evaporate about 24,000 gallons in a year.

makes sense... at about 1/4" a day... but never thougth about losing all of my water in a year...

interesting indeed....

not to mention the varying rates at relatively close geographies...
    18,000 gallon gunite free form, with spa, 4x160, EasyTouch, SWCG, Pentair cartr filter, Colorlogic lights.

9. Back To Top    #9

Yes it gets full sun for about 6 hours

10. Back To Top    #10

Well believe it or not the bucket lost 5/8 of an inch. Could the Polaris 280 account for the rest, its tail seems to come out quite about and spray water out of the pool?

11. Back To Top    #11

I found this device and ordered it. I am thinking this will help me determine if I have a leak or not as the bucket test was inconclusive.

Leak Detection device.

http://www.leaktools.com/mm5/merchant.m ... _Code=FIND

12. Back To Top    #12

What did you find with this device?
    I am in Birmingham AL and I am loosing about a 1/2 inch a day now. It has been so dry here and no rain, but this seems a lot to me so i am trying the bucket method. Just hope the neighborhood cats don't drink too much!!
    35000 in ground vinyl liner with cartridge filter
    Birmingham,AL

13. Back To Top    #13

I just got it today. I plan on setting it up this Thursday. I will let you know what i find. I am anxious to find out what is oging on. I hope it is evaporation.

14. Back To Top    #14

Wow! That is a lot of water going to make new clouds. I guess it's another reason for a solar cover. Does anyone use a solar cover in the south year around?
    20k Gunite/Prism Blue-Pebblesheen, Pentair Tagelus TA-100D Sand Filter, Heliocol Solar Water Heater, 2 bubblers and 2 waterfalls installed 2007, 3hp IntelliFlo VS Pump 011018 installed 2013, Aquabot Turbo T4 RC and Stenner 45MHP10 w/The Liquidator container installed 2012.
    Antigua Spa by Artesian Spas: 325 gl, 52 jets, 6 hp 2 sp & 6 hp 1 sp, Circulation System 24 Hour Whisper Pure, Ozonator, LED digital lighting, The Artesian Pillowfall installed 2007.
    Retired: 2hp Pentair Whisperflow, Legend Platinum w/booster pump, PH Adjuster