How are these numbers?

SusanB

Apr 15, 2011
I am new to the board, but I have been lurking for a while. Today I got my test kit and I was surprised at some of the numbers but I am going to post them along with what I plan to do to adjust them. Could you please let me know if I am on the right track?

My pool is an Intex 12 x 24 AGP with a SWG. I uncovered the pool last weekend because I read on here last summer that you should open early and close late to prevent problems. The water has been clear but there is some algae on the bottom which I have been brushing to try to get filtered out. I read in pool school that I should use the pool shock for four days which I did today for the first day. This was before my Taylor K2006 test kit arrived in the mail So with that being said, I took a sample of water, then added the one pound bag of shock and then tested the water so please keep in mind that my numbers are preshock.

FC - 9 ppm
CC - .5 ppm
PH - 7.8
TA - 130 ppm
CH - 125 ppm
CYA - 40 ppm

Do these numbers even sound reasonable (possible)? My plan was to use dry acid to lower the PH and the TA but I need to go back to pool school to figure out how to lower the CC.

I am guessing that the one pound of shock I added should bump the CYA up more, then should I switch to bleach to try to control the algae?

Thanks in advance for all of your help!

CC at 0.5 or lower is alright. As long as it doesn't go up to 1.0 or higher, I wouldn't worry about it. If you do need to lower CC you shock the pool.

Muriatic acid is less expensive and generally better to use for lowering PH, however it is a little more difficult to handle because of the fumes.

With CYA at 40, you usually only need FC to be between 3 and 7. However if CC remains above zero, keeping FC a little higher than that can be useful.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.