Pool light screw stuck...what can I use to get it turning?

kriv

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 29, 2009
I need to change the bulp in my pool light but I cannot get the screw out. Due to the pool and deck design, I have to be in the pool to reach it and I can't get a ton of leverage on the screwdriver. Any tips?

Re: Pool light screw stuck...what can I use to get it turnin

There is a device called an impact screw driver designed specifically for stuck screws, it weighs probably 2-3 pounds and holds a screw driver bit on the front and you hit the back with a hammer, this applies twisting force and pressure to the screw at he same time. If you have a harbor freight store around they sell them for $15 or so.

Ike

I don't think that an impact driver would be a good choice for a stuck light screw. You could break off the tab that the screw goes into or you could damage the light.

To get leverage on the screwdriver, you could use a wrench on the screw driver, but that risks stripping out the threads or the slot.

kriv said:
Thanks for the responses! I am going to try to get at this thing tomorrow.

The reason phillips head screws were invented is so they cam out when too much torque is applied. Thats a good thing when tightening, but a bad thing while loosening.

Often times when I run across something like this, I find the tightest fitting flat head and pound it into the screw gently with a hammer. Once you get it stuck in the screw, turn it with whatever it takes (pliers etc) If the screw head breaks off you can always use vise grips to get it out once the light is out of the way.

I went and bought the Impact Screw Driver set. $7.00 at Harbor Freight. It worked to break the screw, but not enough to really loosen it. I had to wack on it for some time. When I took a regular Phillips head to see if it was loose, I was able to get just a bit of movement, tighten only. The head was pretty messed up by this time. I hammered a Phillips screw driver into the head and was able to get enough bite to finally get it out. I had to hammer the screw driver into the head several times as the bite wouldn't hold for much of a turn. It took me over an hour to finally get it out. I was lucky not to break the screw tab. That is certainly a possibility.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.