Open the pool now or wait until back from vacation?

May 25, 2010
I live in Ontario, I have a mid size on-ground bromine pool that's currently closed for the winter. We are going away for a two week vacation the end of May, returning mid June. Unfortunately, I don't have anyone reliable to keep an eye on the pool while we are gone. The last time we went away, I left the only person that I though may be ok with explicit instructions on what to do and returned to find that she had forgotten chemicals for over a week and the strainer was clogged with leaves (pump was running very warm).

Since I'd rather return to a swamp then a burnt out motor, we've decided not to have anyone watch the pool. Originally I had planned on just leaving it closed until we returned, but now I'm thinking it's probably better to open it so that I can pump it full of chemicals before I leave.

What do you guys think? Open it now or leave it closed?

Here are some complications:
- I don't have a solar blanket, but I'm thinking it's probably best to go buy one if we are going to open before we leave
- I'm pretty sure there's a leak in the plumbing, it happens mostly when the pump is off. I couldn't find it last year and will look again this year.
- I can't leave the pump running because of the possibility of the strainer filling with leaves and clogging or the water dropping low, I don't want to risk burning it out.

Is there anything else I have to take into consideration? I'm going to ask said unreliable person to drop by and check on the house while we are gone, but ask her to just pop her head into the backyard to make sure there are no tragedies. I can't risk putting anymore responsibility then that on her.

Thanks!

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

I'm no expert but I would wait till you get back from your vacation. With the concerns you have I think that if you were to open your pool to get the chemicals going and no one is really there to maintain the chemicals then you would end up being right back to square one when you get back from the vaction. 2 extra weeks won't really make the pool any worse than it already is, if it is even bad, but 2 weeks can make a difference to a clean pool that will not be maintained. Hope this helps.
:cheers:

Is your pool covered with an opaque cover?
If it is you can do one of a few things to improve your chances of a clear pool.
1. You can hook your pump up and run it for an hour or two and add chlorine to shock level.
2. You can get a submersible pump, run it for a few hours and add chlorine to shock level.
3. You could manually stir the pool and add chlorine to shock level.
4. You could do nothing and fight the green monster when you get back.

Whatever you do, if you have an opaque cover I wouldn't take it off.

Bama Rambler said:
Is your pool covered with an opaque cover?
If it is you can do one of a few things to improve your chances of a clear pool.
1. You can hook your pump up and run it for an hour or two and add chlorine to shock level.
2. You can get a submersible pump, run it for a few hours and add chlorine to shock level.
3. You could manually stir the pool and add chlorine to shock level.
4. You could do nothing and fight the green monster when you get back.

Whatever you do, if you have an opaque cover I wouldn't take it off.

Right now the pool is closed for the winter. We have a black opaque, tarp like cover that it kept in place with water bags. The pump/lines/returns/etc are all disassembled and the pool has been drained to a few inches below the returns.

My husband thinks that fully opening the pool, and then shocking and covering (with a solar blanket) is the best bet, I have no idea.

Can the pool go bad enough over two weeks (specifically 12 days) to compare to not opening until mid June?

I don't think we can get the pump up and running with the cover still on. What advantages are there to partially opening and adding chemicals as opposed to fully opening?

Also, the weather may be warm enough here in May to get some use out of the pool before we leave (gas heater) so that's one thing we are thinking is in favour of opening it now/soon.

Thanks for the help :)

Now you've introduced a whole new set of criteria.

If there's the possibility of actually using the pool then by all means, open it and use it.

Your DH is correct then. open the pool and use it. Then shock it and cover it.
What color is your solar cover?

Bama Rambler said:
Now you've introduced a whole new set of criteria.

If there's the possibility of actually using the pool then by all means, open it and use it.

Your DH is correct then. open the pool and use it. Then shock it and cover it.
What color is your solar cover?

We don't currently have one, were planning on going to pick one up this weekend. What color should I get?

Bama Rambler said:
For your location I'd go with black. It generates more heat than about any other color and it'll help preserve FC in the pool.

We'd love to keep as much heat in the pool as much as possible. That's the sole reason for getting one this year. We have a bromine pool, does that make a difference in the solar cover type/colour?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.