Quick CYA and Pool Calculator Question

Easto

Jun 27, 2010
The pool store here is having a sale on EVERYTHING. For example I picked up some Aquavac filters for $23.99 (reg price $99.99) and I got the Aquavac Caddy for $59.99 (reg price $99.99)

Since the only chemical I have to buy from a pool store is CYA I might as well pick that up during the sale.

My Pool Volume is 76549 L
Assuming CYA is 0 and I have a goal of 50 ppm

Should I buy 3827g of CYA to bring it from 0 to 50?

Then buy a minimum of 3.8kg of CYA (if I have extra CYA I can keep it in storage until I need it again)

I just want to make sure I am using this calculator properly

3.8kg on a 77k liter pool sound about right if your CYA target is 50 and you currently have zero cya. Having current CYA of zero is unusual, unless you have never added it before or this is a fresh fill?

I doubt I will have 0, but my pool was a new build last August. The pool guys used Stabilized pool pucks and said that's all I needed and to keep FC around 3.

I don't think any chlorine or CYA was added, just the pucks and all I used was the test strips to test the levels. When they came to close the pool I wasn't home, so I don't know what they did with it upon closing it. I am going to assume my levels are very low so I make sure I stock up on enough chemicals at a sale price. Whatever I don't need I can keep for later in the season or next year.

FC from 0 to 3ppm all I need is 3721 mL, that's a lot less than I thought I would have to use.

STOP!!

I don't think any chlorine or CYA was added, just the pucks and all I used was the test strips to test the levels.
Pucks are Chlorine and CYA. If your pool has had a steady diet of them, there's a very good probability that CYA is already too high.

You must test it with a proper test kit and only add what is necessary if you really want a troublefree pool. Test strips aren't reliable enough - especially not last year's.

If pucks were used all last year DON'T add any CYA until you test for it. You may actually be way over 50ppm by now. Pucks have CYA in them and every time you use one you add CYA to your pool. If you haven't drained you probably have more than you want.

Just to clarify, I haven't done anything to my pool yet this season. It actually still has its Safety Cover on.

I used test strips last year to test the water, but by the time my pool was ready to swim we only had about 1 month of swimming weather anyways.

I have not opened the pool yet and haven't tested the water THIS YEAR.

I have a TF100 kit that I will break out as soon as the cover comes off.

I WILL test the pool before adding anything to it. I just want to buy some CYA now while it is on sale in case I need to use it. If I don't need it I can put it in the garage and use it some other time or give it to my dad.

I will make sure to post my test result before I do anything. I just wanted to have the chemicals on hand in case they were needed.

I think I wasn't clear on my last post. I know that pucks are Cholrine + CYA. What I meant was I don't think any Chlorine or CYA were added (seperately) to the pool water with the water to get their levels where they needed to be. I think they only put a couple pucks into the Chlorinator when they started up the system and told me to monitor FC levels (never said anything about CYA).

This year I plan on using BBB and adding CYA on it own (if it is needed).

I guess the pool installers are good at installation, but not the best to ask for advice on water balance :D

I agree with the above, check before adding any CYA to it.

I used pucks in my pool the year before I found this site, and my CYA was way above what it should have been. I think my CYA was around 100 at that time. I just lived with it until I drained alot of the water out in the fall for closing. The next year I had to add just a little bit to bring it up to 50ppm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.