Deckjet Installation Question

Apr 15, 2011
I have a 20 year old gunite pool/spa with new 1.5HP Whisperflo pump, 48ft2 DE filter, heater and 5 port caretaker system. The only returns are through the caretaker system and spa lines. All above ground plumbing is 2", but underground, I think it is all 1.5". There are 2 skimmers. Normal pressure for filter isabout 28psi and caretaker about 18; from the filter curves, I think I am running at about 70GPM. Pool-spa is automated through Jandy PDA system.

I want to add 4 deckjets and am curious where to plumb them in. I assume somewhere after the pool/spa return valve on the pool returns, but before the caretaker. My concern is that if I divert some water to the deckjets, will the varying backpressure operation of the caretaker cause the jets to bounce around a bit?

1)Can I simply "T" off the pool return before the caretaker? Will I get enough flo to the deckjets? Will the caretaker operation disrupt the jets
2)Alternatively, I can put a 3 way to divert an adjustable amount of water to the jets - same issue with caretaker.
3)Most complex, I could use a 3 way (automated) to divert all water towards the jets, with another three way to bypass some of that diverted flow back towards one of the caretaker returns through a check valve; this would effective bypass the caretaker valve, but is the more complex plumbing.

Any thoughts? Am I overthinking this?

db

Welcome to TFP!

There is certainly going to be some interaction between the jets and the caretaker system. When the caretaker switches popups the deck jets will surge higher. It is also possible that the caretaker won't have enough pressure when the jets are on, though that is less likely.

1) That will be fine for the deck jets, may or may not be an issue for the caretaker. The jets will surge now and then as the caretaker cycles.
2) This gives you control over jet height, but won't solve any of the possible problems.
3) This will solve the problems. You will probably need a couple of different check valves.

JasonLion said:
Welcome to TFP!

There is certainly going to be some interaction between the jets and the caretaker system. When the caretaker switches popups the deck jets will surge higher. It is also possible that the caretaker won't have enough pressure when the jets are on, though that is less likely.

1) That will be fine for the deck jets, may or may not be an issue for the caretaker. The jets will surge now and then as the caretaker cycles.
2) This gives you control over jet height, but won't solve any of the possible problems.
3) This will solve the problems. You will probably need a couple of different check valves.

For #3, the most accessible return is the pressure relief line bypassed in front of the caretaker valve - I could tap is with the bypass just after the pressure relief through another 1 way - do you see any issues?

For #1, the absolute easiest would be to T off the return just after the heater and BEFORE the pool-spa 3 way. In that situation, I would have all the above problems, to the extent they matter and would likely get enough pressure, but could in theory activate the jets when in SPA mode. Of course, this would be nice to look at, but would force cool pool water into the spa through the hole in the pool spa wall which would make heated operation of the spa difficult if someone activated the jets while in the spa. A bit klunky, but not a problem if someone does not activate the jets when in the spa. See any other issues? If this does not work, I can always cap off the "T" and try something else (but it would cost me a two way valve).

Also, I think it would be easier to put a small ball valve in each deckjet line rather than install a large pressure loop; I'd also like to use flexible irrigation pipe to the jets; any issues?

Running the deckjets while in spa mode will either drain down the spa or make it nearly impossible to heat the spa, depending on how it is setup. There is no practical way to get that to work.

Having ball valves on the deckjets and not looping is fine. That will give you more control over their height.

Not all irrigation pipe is suitable for use with chlorine. Suitable pipe is fairly easy to find.

I will likely do the following first and work from there:

"T" off the Pool return line after the heater and pool/spa 3 way.

Install a 2-way valve with JVA on the line (to a spare Aux).

Install a manifold after the 2-way to go from 2" to 4xball valves

Run from ball valves about 10-15 each line to the 4 deckjets (in a landscaped area adjaced to one edge of the pool)

(If I have any pressure problems: (1) not enough pressure for the 4 jets or (2) too much effect from the careaker operation, I can cap the T and try one of the other approaches).

What size pipe should I use for each run (10-15'; has to carry 5 gpm? each) from the manifold/ball valve to the caretakers? Difference if flex (black irrigation) or pvc?

db

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.