16x48 Intex Ultra Frame Hayward pool Pump Question??

Mar 14, 2011
I had an easy set pool last year with the Intex Pump and filter , that was a joke. This year upgraded to the 16x48 Ultra Frame pool. I bought a Hayward 3/4 HP pump and a Hayward DE40 Filter for it, on craigslist.

My question is, will a 3/4 HP be enough for this pool? or should I get a 1hp?? Roughly how long should I run this a day??? The De40 should be fine for keeping it clean??

I had the salt generator on the pool last year, but thinking about getting a inline chlorinator and using that. The salt system got alot of hardwater build up, and when the power went off you would have to reset the thing all the time, if you forgot to do it, that was a problem.

Welcome to TFP :wave:

3/4 hp is more than enough...I run a 0.5 hp pump on a 24ft round pool. The swg is the way to go, not the inline chlorinator. Your SWG scaling issues were likely due to water chemistry being off and you would likely benefit from a good test kit such as the Tf100 from TFtestkits.net or the taylor k2006. Take a read through pool school (link in my sig) a few times over and ask questions as you go along. Using an inline chlorinator on a smaller pool will tend to overstabilize the pool fairly quick, while a swg produces just chlorine. We are here to help :goodjob:

Thanks for the reply, I guess I will stick to the SWG. I thought maybe the scale build up was due to hard water?? I have a Taylor k-2005 test kit. Everytime I tested the chlorine last year. it looked like there was hardly anything in the pool. I ran the SWG at 7pm for 3 hours. should I run it at a different time?? Maybe I testing it wrong. should you still shock the pool? toward the end of summer I got some alage in the pool. Any info would help.

lamboman316 said:
Thanks for the reply, I guess I will stick to the SWG. I thought maybe the scale build up was due to hard water?? I have a Taylor k-2005 test kit. Everytime I tested the chlorine last year. it looked like there was hardly anything in the pool. I ran the SWG at 7pm for 3 hours. should I run it at a different time?? Maybe I testing it wrong. should you still shock the pool? toward the end of summer I got some alage in the pool. Any info would help.
Welcome to TFP! :wave:
The one thing about SWG is that they are used to keep the FC at the correct level. SWG are not really used for killing algea as they can't keep up with it. You need to make sure all algea is killed by shocking (How to Shock a Pool) the pool and peforming an Overnight chlorine test until the pool passes the test. Look here for directions. As for the SWG run time, you need to run the SWG just long enough to maintain the correct level. Every pool is different so you have to experiment with the run time. Next you need to find out what your CYA level is in the pool. The higher the CYA the more FC you need for the pool. For a Salt pool the CYA should be about 70 to 80 ppm. Chlorine / CYA Chart
:cheers:

Hard water is part of it, the other equation is high PH to promote scaling. How hard is your fill water? My fill CH is about 350 and the swg is on it's 3rd year, clean as a whistle, but I never let my PH go above 7.6.

lamboman316 said:
crookm11,

would you stay with the SWG, or go to a inline chlorinator??
YES to SWG, NO to Inline Chlorinator!!!! An inline chlorinator uses chlorine pucks. Just like dmanb2b said, the inline chlorinator will overstabalize the pool quickly. What we mean by over stabalizing is that the chlorine pucks also add CYA along with the chlorine. Too much CYA can cause problems down the road. A SWG just produces chlorine from the salt without adding CYA. Please look at the Chlorine / CYA Chart. I would also suggest reading pool school. The link is in my sig and also on the top right hand corner of this site. :cheers:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.