Pump and Sand Filter

Jul 12, 2010
I had constant problems last year with my pool. I always had air in my skimmer basket just before the pump and the sand filter did not work unless I added DE to it.
I am convinced that I just have the wrong set up.
I have a 20,000 gallon pool with two returns (one is 30 feet from the pump, the other is 15 feet from the pump), and one return (40 feet from the pump).
I am wondering what I could do to change the situation.
I have beent thinking about a new pump. I currently have a Hayward 1HP, 0.75KWS, ~3400 RPM pump and a Hayward sand filter set for 60GPM, 300lbs of sand, 3.14 feet squared of filter area.
Would it be possible to get a two speed or variable speed pump to use with this filter? Or do I have to have a certain flow rate to work with this sand filter?
I am also wondering if I should just get a whole new set up that is the right fit for my pool.
I would prefer to run the pump 24 hours a day and have that cycle through all 20,000 gallones 2 or 3 times a day.

Nothing you mentioned suggests a need to replace everything. Most likely you just need to open the filter up and clean and resettle the sand bed and find the suction side air leak. Air in the pump strainer basket means an air leak somewhere. One possibility is that the seal on the lid of the pump strainer basket isn't sealing correctly. Make sure it is clean and free of nicks. Another possibility is that the water level isn't high enough in the skimmer and it is drawing in a vortex of air. If it isn't either of those, then there is a leak somewhere in the suction side plumbing.

A 300 lb sand filter is fairly good for that pool. I normally recommend larger, but there is nothing wrong with having a filter that size. That filter is fine with a two speed pump on low. With the pump on low it will filter a little better than it does now. You will want to turn the pump up to high when you are backwashing the filter.

There is no real point in cycling the water through 2 or 3 times a day, but you can do that if you want.

I spent a whole year looking for the suction side air leak. I replaced everything. Above ground pipe, unions and valve wise. I totally took apart the sand filter, took out all the sand, inspected the unit. No problems there. Sand was all great. Filter looked wonderful. I dug under ground to look at every union for the pipes. I am still having the same problems with air in the skimmer basket before the pump.
The water is plenty high enough. I checked for the vortex thing. It was not the problem.
The problem gets worse when I shut off one of the returns and have all the water coming in through just one pipe.

I would be interested in a two speed filter to save money and in hopes that it would fix my problem. I can't think of anything else to try besides ripping out everything and starting from scratch.

What type of two speed pump do you recommend?

Replacing the pump won't fix a suction side air leak unless the leak is in the pump strainer basket lid.

I really like the Pentair WhisperFlo line, the WFDS-3 3/4 HP (115 volts) and WFDS-4 1 HP (230 volts) are great for most any residential pool.

I am ready to give up trying to find the problem with the leak myself. I am a bit worried about finding a reputable repair person. Is there something specific I should be looking for in a repair person? Is there a reasonable rate of pay I should look for?

I've had a similar problem with a few bubbles in pump basket. I searched and looked everywhere for the leak. I finally looked under my skimmer, granted I have an above ground pool, but I found a small hairline crack in the skimmer pipe that ties into the PVC. I thought, 'whew, I finally found it!' I went ahead and greased the basket seal and tightened the screws around the neck of my filter. My bubbles are almost completely gone! They are far less even with the hairline crack under skimmer. I'm waiting to replace the skimmer b/c I don't think I can repair the crack. I just wanted to share my experience with you. I know it can be a pain in the you know what to find a leak.

Also, as I was reading your post it sounds like the leak may be in that one return line since you've shut off the other and it got worse. Maybe you can just replace that line instead of starting all over. Good luck!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.