Question on Raypak RP2100 remote control

Galun

Apr 14, 2011
I tried to call Raypak but they weren't very helpful. While I am waiting / working through their internal technical support maze, I figure I may try to ask experts on the forum here.

I have a Raypak RP2100 Digital that I want to control with my home automation system (not pool automation). All I want to do is to turn on and off the heater remotely, and when the water is heated to a certain temperature (say 85F), turn off the pool heater.

I see that the unit can be turned on and off by a 2 wire dry contact switch. My question is - what happens when the heater is in the remote on state? Let's say I have set the heater to pool mode 85F before I put it in remote control mode. When the heater is in the remote on state, does it then go to pool mode 85F and turn off by itself when water reaches 85F, or will the heater keep working until it's turned off by the remote?

Thanks!

Welcome to TFP!

If the remote is on the heater will heat to the temperature set on the heater and then switch to maintaining that temperature. If the remote is off the heater will not turn on. The remote is hooked up to what is often called a fireman switch, a kind of a remote turn off the heater right now switch. Everything else about the heater continues working the way it otherwise would.

Thank you for the quick answer!

I just bought a house a couple months ago and it's the first time we ever own one with a pool. We are finally done with the remodeling and I am getting around to learning the pool system. This is a great forum to learn!

Another question came up.

What is the typical rating for the relay switches for remote controls? I read the manual and it calls for 20awg 600V wire, but it doesn't say what the relay has to be rated for.

Thanks!

JasonLion said:
Welcome to TFP!

If the remote is on the heater will heat to the temperature set on the heater and then switch to maintaining that temperature. If the remote is off the heater will not turn on. The remote is hooked up to what is often called a fireman switch, a kind of a remote turn off the heater right now switch. Everything else about the heater continues working the way it otherwise would.

Using the "fireman's switch" connection doesn't allow you to use both setpoints on the controller. It also doesn't allow you to lock out the controller from people adjusting the temperature manually. The Spa/Common/Pool wires will allow you to have 2 setpoints (2 for pool, or 1 pool 1 spa) It will also allow you to lockout the temperature setting on the heater.

The current carried by this circuit is <2amps. @24vac.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.