Copper-to-PVC pipe adapters

Titanium

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 26, 2007
SF Bay Area
2 inch copper pipe exists between the outlet of the gas heater and where the pipes disappear into the ground heading to the pool returns / spa jets. The copper pipe is where I intend to install a GoldLine (Hayward) H40 chlorine cell.

Home Depot and Orchard Supply do not carry copper-to-PVC adapters in the size that I need. Also, I see that several online pool stores offer a "no sweat" copper-to-PVC adapter that utilize either one or two o-rings for sealing. These "no sweat" adapters sound easy to install, but I am very leery of how well they will hold up and am leaning heavily to the old fashioned copper-to-PVC adapeter which require sweating. Any opinions on which approach is best?

Also, where is a good source for copper-to-PVC adapters?

Thanks!

Titanium

The copper stub outs that exited the heaters were usually connected to CPVC Female Threaded Adapters, then glued to normal PVC Sch 40 pipe. The CPVC is a gray PVC that has better heat characteristics than Sch 40.
I don't remember there being a special adapter as I believe the thread on the stub out is a standard PVC thread.

Hope this helps,

Hello Poolsean,

This existing 2-inch copper pipe exits the heater for about 1 foot horizontally, then drops vertically for about 18 inches, then runs horizontally for about 2 feet until it hits the 3-way Ortega valve, and then disappears into the ground on the way to the pool. Sorry about not having a photo yet.

I intend to leave the existing 2-inch copper pipe on the discharge side of the heater. I plan to install the GoldLine H40 chlorine cell in the 2 foot horizontal section just prior to the 3-way Ortega valve. The GoldLine chlorine cell comes with two 2-inch unions, one for each side of the cell.

So I need to transition from 2-inch copper pipe to 2-inch PVC. Then I will glue the slip-side of the provided 2-inch union onto the PVC, and then the 2-inch union will screw onto the chlorine cell threads. And then reverse the process for the other end of the chlorine cell, transitioning from PVC back to the existing 2-inch copper pipe.

I'm thinking these are the parts that I need. The first item is the copper piece and is kind of expensive at $12-14 per fitting. Not a lot of money in the context of pools, but kind of expensive for just a single fitting.

[web]http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/1VLU5[/web]

The second fitting would be a pvc "2 Inch ADAPTER, MALE, MIPT X SOCKET".

Is this going to be the right way, or is there an easier, better way that I am missing?

Titanium

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.